Bosch Built In Oven - Securing Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could put my mind at ease please.

I recently had some repair work carried out on my oven under warrenty. The work involved removing the oven from the kitchen unit carcass in order to carry out the repair however when the engineer went to refit the oven one of the screws to secure the oven within the kitchen unit would not tighten.

In order to rectify the issue he replaced the screws with some with a thicker diameter and slightly longer however they looked nothing like the original ones supplied with the oven. I'm certainly not going to fiddle with it in anyway however I'm just a little concerned he has used the wrong type of screw.

The screws he used look very similar to the image attached. Do these even look like screws for wood?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4370.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG
    482.4 KB · Views: 388
Sponsored Links
Yes they are traditional wood screws, if the unit is chipboard they are not ideal but they should work fine to just hold it back.

He should have stuck a few slivers of wood in the hole (or match sticks), and then used the original screw. As footprints has said, that's a wood screw, and should be a chipboard screw that has a thread all the way down the shank, but as the first part of the hole won't have any grip, it should be alright.

Thank you for your replies.

Do you think I should request they return to rectify with the correct screws or is it best to leave as it is now?

Sponsored Links
I dount if they'll return, but you could try asking them. But it's a simple diy job, and as there should be three other screws in the oven, it's not a major issue.

I dount if they'll return, but you could try asking them. But it's a simple diy job, and as there should be three other screws in the oven, it's not a major issue.

It's only secured with two screws in the top of the oven, both are with these replacement screws.
I was more worried about the screws being too thick for the diameter of the kitchen unit and coming through the sides of the unit but I presume that is extremely unlikely.

See if you can pick up some 50mm (or at least longer than the ones in there now) drywall screws from the range or somewhere similar, you should be able to pick up a pack of 10 for £1.

See if you can pick up some 50mm (or at least longer than the ones in there now) drywall screws from the range or somewhere similar, you should be able to pick up a pack of 10 for £1.

Sorry I meant to say the oven only has the holes to be secured with two screws at the top.

It's okay, I realised that. Drywall screws are black, and often used to hold ovens in. The one's they've used should be fine, so it's up to you if you want to replace them or not, but it's an easy things to do if you want to.

It's okay, I realised that. Drywall screws are black, and often used to hold ovens in. The one's they've used should be fine, so it's up to you if you want to replace them or not, but it's an easy things to do if you want to.

Thank very much for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back