Bosch sander sheets coming loose, maybe replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Bosch 1/2 sheet sander which I have had for over 10 years and it still looks quite new, i.e. it has not had any real hard use but fairly frequent DIY use. I don't think it has got worse I think it is just that I am pushing it harder at the moment but it lets go of the sheet when I put any real pressure on it by pressing down harder.

I think it has always done that if pressed hard especially with a new 60 grade sheet on it for example so I am not sure that is letting go because it is older but more because the bit that grips the paper never did grip hard enough. It was a DIY model nothing really expensive.

It is so annoying when trying to get a job done so I am thinking of getting something better as I don't think this one will ever be able to grip the paper well, even if I suspected a weak grip and replaced parts. Is this a common fault with many sheet sanders?

What would I have to spend to get something half decent?

I saw a Makita on Screwfix but that was about £200, so do I need to spend that much to get a decent 1/2 sheet sander?

Can you recommend any models?

My father is mentioning a make called Rupes which he says is very good but I have never heard of them and they are expensive too, he lives abroad so possibly it is popular there.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Take off the rubber strips that make contact with the sheet, give them a wash and gently key them with some medium grade paper.

You don't need to press hard, any sander will loose it's grip if not used correctly
, have a £150 Makita orbital which was brilliant for a short while then pad holding sheets failed due to heavy use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back