Bouncy floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a run of 4 joists in a ground floor room. They are a bit bouncy. They are not rotted or damaged. I can get access to underneath where there is about 15cm of gap between bottom of joist and floor.

What is the best way to support or stiffen them up. Do I need a jack or something to lift them, then put the support down? Bricks?

Sponsored Links
You can sister them that is bolt another joist to the side, add noggins which are bracing timber fixed to each joist at right angles, beef up the flooring with thicker T&G timber or 18mm ply if the existing is chipboard, also drilling through the boards and screwing them to the joists instead of relying on nails. Any or all of the above will help.

You can stick bricks under the mid span if you want- no need for mortar, dry stacked is fine. Use slate or pvc window shims to get the level right, make sure there"s something waterproof (slate or DPM) between joists and bricks. And yes you can use a car jack to level them but don't go mad, you might start lifting the joist ends

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back