boundary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the wall at the end of my garden has not fared well in the recent cold snap. The brickwork is now very crumbly and there are many loose bricks. The whole thing will need pulling down and starting new - back to foundations (its 100 years old so simply has a spreader course foundation).

Which would be cheaper to build a 6ft high wall with?

***breeze blocks, rendered with coping stones on top.

***red bricks with a soldier course top.

Or is the cost difference neglibible?
Are bare breeze blocks, painted, suitable for our climate outside? I see them plenty enough, but often wonder about their pourosity and water freezing in them - hence I suggested having mine rendered. But if its not nessecary, I'd live without!

I want to hang a 4ft wide metal gate off one end of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Is this the wall you were on about a few months back steve?

How much DIYing are you going to do - I take it you're going to have to pay someone to lay the brick/block and do the rendering? But you can do the groundwork? Or are you wanting someone to do the job lot?

I wouldn't recommend breeze block external. I would use dense concrete solid and then render. But personally, for a 100 year old house, I would prefer a 9" wall, english garden wall bond, finished off with a soldier course. Lovely :D

I wondered if anyone would remember me :LOL:

Yes, its the same wall. Still crumbling away!

What about a 3ft wall, with brick piers to 6ft with fence panels in between? Cheaper than a solid brick wall? (yes, im after the cheapest option without opting for a plain fence! It has to be solid)

I'd like someone to do all the work, but I have a couple of spare fence panels i could cordon the rest of the garden off with, while I demolish it all. But no way to cordon off any trenches I dig! Would red and white tape strung out between metal stakes meet H&S purposes? I dont wanna get sued!

I'd quite happily dig the founds out and even lay the concrete, if i can meet my duty of care to joe public walking by my property.

Sponsored Links
A rendered block wall will probably succumb to thermal movement that will result in cracking along the courses and vertically through the blocks.

It will also need painting/maintenance.

A masonry wall with fence panels will need some hefty pillars between to resist wind related problems and would require say 450mm x 450mm pillars.

I would go with a 225mm brick fella every time with tile crease and solid blue engineers finishing the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back