boundary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am on the corner of a main road and have a long lleylandii hedge inside a boundary brick wall. The hedge is encroaching on a footpath and the highways dept. have told me to either cut right back(which wold kill the hedge and look a mess) or have it removed-given 28 days.
If removed I would be left with a low-3ft brick wall. I need to know what is best to replace the height which will be lost when the hedge is removed. Can I build on top of the wall?

Sponsored Links
I think 1 metre is generally the permitted development height, unlikely to be granted planning permission fo4 more highway safety/ sight lines are the issue for the Council. If its straightforward encroachment/trespass on the footway you may be more fortunate, especially if there are similar height frontages in the area

Blup

You are required to cut vegetation back to the boundary, but no further. Typically this will mean just the lower parts affecting use of the footpath or road.

You should not by law, disturb any nesting birds or nests being created - and it's nearly springtime. So any deadline, if it's actually valid must wait if the hedge is in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back