Bowed Purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First time on here and a bit of a DIY novice, so please go easy on me.

Live in a typical 1930s semi, and have noticed one of the purlins has bowed by approx' 1.5 inch in the centre. Think this is historical rather than a recent thing, so don't think there is a particular structural worry. However more concerned it will be picked up in a survey when we sell the house (which we are intending in the next 6 months). So what possible solutions are there considering two scenarios.

1) Could a replacement purlin be put in whilst retiling the roof, without taking off the rafters?
2) What replacement/remedial/support options are available leaving the existing tiles on?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If I saw new work to a purlin, I would be more concerned than if I saw an old purlin with a natural bow and no other problems with the roof

its taken a lot of years to get that way so you are not going to do anything remedial with it and as woody said you will only draw attention to it, a lot of roofs have bowed purlins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back