bread oven

Ladylola

The problem was only with me (a thicky when it comes to computers) but one of our members sorted it.......28 views in 2 days...I'm sure it will attract a lot of following from our wood oven members.

Love baking but not very good at it....I'm off to a week-end bash with a small group from the "Dan Lepard" baking forum in the Yorkshire dales at the end of August, baking bread in a trad mud oven.....can't wait

Regards.......Terry

Sponsored Links
Ladylola

Ever since seeing your picture of a Medieval wood-fired oven on a 2 wheel horse drawn cart, I have always longed to build something like that myself. I still run a UK wood-fired oven forum for wood-fired oven enthusiasts, helping people to build their own brick or clay ovens (allbeit a new forum).

I have built many clay ovens for communities in my area since my last post and in 2013 I will be working alongside the R3 Cymru trust (Providing training & rehabilitation for service veterans throughout Wales in order to stabilise and create opportunities in civilian life.) Apart from the trusts own activities, I would like to contribute something for their help to me..........I am just about to secure a beautiful 2 wheeled horse drawn cart which I will turn into a mobile Clay oven. Here is the picture of the cart...

cartandpony.jpg

I am going to build a lightweight Clay/Cob oven on the cart with the oven opening to the rear. The oven will be designed to replicate something of the period but will be a working functioning oven.

This project will have 2 goals. It will be fascinating project for me to build and hopefully will bring in some funds for the R3 Cymru trust.

Would this be something your re-enactment group could use on their events. (any monies generated would go directly to the trust)

Please let me know your thoughts

Terry

p.s....to anybody reading this, the original cart which sparked my enthusiasm is here...

medeviloveen.jpg

Thanks for getting back cranny , the horse drawn cart looks a cracking idea and if we do ever get together I'm sure we could work something out.We are based mainly in the midlands although we do have some events at Ty Mawy ( I think that is how it's spelt) just outside Welshpoole. One of our members partner keeps horses but they are up in Yorkshire so getting all together would be a problem.
"Recarrigeing" , if that's a word , is proving a problem to be honest. For obvious reasons we can't transport the cart on wooden wheels and need to put it on a trailor to tow behind my van. As there are times I could really do with loading /unloading on my own I'm thinking along the lines of a "thunderbird" type of thing that will very closely roll over the trailor and slip the wheels off for road use. Downside of that idea is that the wheels need to be an exact size to match the bed hight of the trailor. It's looking increasingly likey that I'm going to end up making the wheels myself , if I ever get the time.
We've also want to make a more accurate oven although it will end up being heavier. There are a couple of other ovens in the medievael re-enactment scene but they are all smaller and talking to their owners the lack of mass restricts what can be cooked.Bigger really is better it seems.
I hope we can meet up some time and have a proper anorak discussion about bread ovens :LOL:

ladylola

It does look like a very complicated project and excuse me for pinching the idea but to create an authentic looking Medieval clay oven....on a cart is a challenge I would love to take on...

G3fJq9OO1IlZk39WC6Ov.jpg

I am giving courses in Clay oven building later this year and would like to let my students get involved in the project. I am still running a forum for wood-fired oven enthusiasts although I had to change my site/forum provider as I had a few issues with their own ads.

All the best

Terry

Sponsored Links
that's a very unique idea for sure! i never ever even heard about this kind of profession/practice even though i like to read some stories about medieval times. it was huge challenge for me to build ready to build vitcas oven in my garden, so respect!

Crannyfaddock I can only wish you luck on the project and hope you will post some pictures if you get it done.
The picture you have posted of the medieavel bread oven is what we based ours on . There seem to be several "redrawings" of that picture done at different dates looking at the clothing but all showing the same basic elements and arrangement. One version seems to show the oven built on boards that look as if they are simply sitting on the cart rather than fixed to it. We have wondered if this is artistic licence or if there is an oven in use on the cart and another under constrution and awaiting replacement although lifting it onto the cart would be a difficult and heavy job.
No need to worry about pinching ideas, we all pich from history in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back