BReathable floor covering for concrete porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon All

I have an enclosed front porch with a concrete floor (it used to be open fronted years ago
A decorator painted my concrete porch floor about 3 years ago with red paint.
It started bubbling so i had some lino fitted.

It has now started to ‘sweat’ underneath , and a damp blokes been and said to use a porous floor covering or nothing , so any condensation can evaporate

Does anyone have any recommendations for such a floor covering?
Would carpet do i wonder or special paint of some sort ?

Any recommendations welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Carpet would be ok but most underlay wouldn't be breathable. You could get some felt underlay to make it breathable.
However anything you put down would be less breathable than nothing, so it's possible you'll just end up with a soggy carpet.
What's the problem with it being damp under there?

I see. Its condensation
It had a double glazed door at the front - and all was well until the decorator painted the floor and i think the condensation got trapped and built up over the years-made worse by me sticking lino down!

Condensation on the door surely won't be related to the damp under the floor covering?
If anything covering the floor will make it less humid in the room.
If you're letting it evaporate constantly that will make the air damp.
Get some ventilation/tricky vents in the room.

Sponsored Links
You have a good point. I’ve had two damp surveyor bloke out and they said something about breathing (cant remember exacrly what now) and sulphites as below
“The slight salting to the front porch floor can be treated with an anti-sulphate solution, to neutralise the salts upon the surface of these tiles, if required. Again, use as directed by the manufacturer. “

Cheers

For non habitable rooms you can have as much damp coming through as you like, the only rule is it's not allowed to cause damage to the structure. So perhaps right to just ventilate it away one way or another.

Ooh = i didnt know altro was breathable- i’ve got some in our bathroom!

Not all of it is. Only the expresslay range and it’s got dimples on the backing to let it breath.

Thanks dazlight, Have also just thought- would honeycomb rubber matting do the trick i womder cos of the holes already in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back