Breathable Membrane, or heavy duty polythene sheeting??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a large garage with an original slate roof that is exposed on the inside. It is in reasonable repair (ie no/very few chinks of light showing through) BUT there is a constant stream of slate dust/dirt that covers everything inside the garage.

I would like to put something up over the inside of the slates to prevent it, but am not sure what to use?

Looking on the net, I have seen mention of waterproof ‘breathable membrane’ and a ‘need to provide ventilation’ – and was wondering if this is something I would need to do in a garage, or whether I should just fasten some strips of heavy duty polythene sheeting along the joists

Any advice would be much appreciated.
thanks

Sponsored Links
A breathable membrane everytime. Its not just about preventing long term damage but preventing condensation and damp inside the garage and anything that's in there. Ebay can be a good source of good value breathable membranes. Often much cheaper than the sheds or merchants.

thanks for the reply - ill have a look on ebay

Ive not actually handled any of this material - Is it like plastic sheeting? - Can it be nailed/stapled to the joists?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back