Breatherquilt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Planning to replace the roof (membrane, battens, tiles) in the 1970s terraced house, was planning to put in a breathable membrane (eg roofshield), however one of the roofers suggested breatherquilt instead (https://ybsinsulation.com/brands/breatherquilt/). Any thoughts about it? I'm a bit concerned because I don't see a lot of references to it in forums/youtube/people's building projects?
Or is it better to have just a normal breathable membrane and celotex/etc in the rafters internally?

Sponsored Links
In general cause I like it more and don't want to have messy mineral wool on the floor (which I do now). But I don't think it's massively important to this question.

You'll be paying to heat your empty loft space then, also if you're insulation needs to get up to the thickness required by Building Control then you'll need a load of PIR insulation between the rafters too. Superquilts were all the rage 20 years ago until the testing was found to be flawed after which they don't comply with anything when used on their own.

Sponsored Links
You'll be paying to heat your empty loft space then, also if you're insulation needs to get up to the thickness required by Building Control then you'll need a load of PIR insulation between the rafters too. Superquilts were all the rage 20 years ago until the testing was found to be flawed after which they don't comply with anything when used on their own.
thats what I was afraid of.. so just a normal breathable membrane then?

Yes a normal breathable membrane something like Klober Permo Forte is good, I'd still add a couple of roof tile vents near the eaves on each side though.

Last edited:
don't want to have messy mineral wool on the floor
Install loft legs and board out on top of the wool; gives you an effective insulation layer and also clean space to store junk :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back