Brick & Block Wall Building - width saving ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am having an extension built (at some point soon).

I am trying to conserve the width of the external walls as the extension is going into quite a thin space.

I know from tradtional brick and block builds with the cavity that this takes up about 300mm of space.

Is there a solution (permission to building control) that reduces this?

A different width of block, smaller cavity etc etc?

Any help much appreciated indeed

Darren

Sponsored Links
Not really. You could probably get it down to 275mm by using super expensive insulation but you won't get much less than that. 25mm either way won't be noticeable in the finished job.

Needs to be brick for the planning rules I have been set!

Do breeze blocks come in a thinner size?

Sponsored Links
Needs to be brick for the planning rules I have been set!

Really? You must be in a listed building then

Otherwise, why can't you do a timber frame and brick slip facade? Or even alter the external facing material specification to something else

Can you expland on that - all I need it to match the external brick.

Are you suggesting external red brick and then a wooden internal frame?

Will that work for the Building Inspector?

The thinnest wall you will get is a timber frame with external brick cladding, not external brickwork

The frame can be about 160mm thick from the external sheathing to internal finish face.

You will then need to clad the external face, and if you want it to look like brick, then you would use a brick slip system which is real bricks cut down to about 15mm thick and these are then stuck onto a metal or plastic support sheet, which is in turn fitted to something like 25mm timber laths.

Or you can clad in tiles/slate, timber or render

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back