Brick Wall or Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking at my plans for my extension and the architect had put a brick wall downstairs rather than a stud wall. Would I be able to change this with the building inspector or would it have to stay? Not sure what it's down in brick, most people have got their internal walls done using stud.

Sponsored Links
Not enough info really but looks like its supporting the floor joists above, making it load bearing but you can do structural timber stud walls though. Will likely still need a foundation though as he's drawn. But as mentioned really not enough info.

Why don't you just ask him why its masonry?

If what's been drawn is all new though why does it matter?

Could it be that the blockwork is intended to give some lateral restraint to
the side gable wall at gf level as well as supporting the floor joists?

(Doesn't look to be much in the way of detail on the drawing; was this for building regs or just planning?)

Sponsored Links
They're just standard notes he cuts and pastes onto every regs application he does, no mention of internal block walls, its idiots like this who give architects and the like a bad name! :rolleyes:

Well building regs passed today and BCO has said that the wall can be stud wall but will still need foundataions. A weekend of digging for me :cry:

Instead of building what amounts to a structural stud partition, with associated foundation, dpc, turn-up of dpm, upstand in insulation etc etc, why not just support the upstairs floor joists on a steel or timber beam. If the extension is not too wide, probably a couple of 9 x 2s fixed together would do.

Why is there such a big set-back at first floor level. It seems such a waste

Why is there such a big set-back at first floor level. It seems such a waste

It's a planning issue, all houses on the road with a extension have to have a 2 meter step back at first floor level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back