Bricklaying - how to do a T-junction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Either i'm googling the wrong thing or I shouldn't be doing a T-junction!

I'm building a little, single skin, 4 course wall. It will be the boundary between the patio and garden. In the middle of the wall I will have a step up to the garden. I want the wall to look something like this...

I'm trying to find a guide to how to lay this kind of wall. I hope this makes sense... I don't want to have a joint that is 2 courses high so I'm thinking the "leg of the T" should sit in the middle of the brick below then use 2/3 bricks either side. That right or should I effectively be building 2 separate mini walls attached to the main wall with ties?

Sponsored Links
The simplest way, would be on the 3rd course up, you would start extending the leg, and then put in a quarter piece of brick either side to pack it out. The picture you've got doesn't show the true position, as the concrete step needs to rise up over the 3rd course, or start behind it. If you add an inch of contrete to the top of the bricks on the 3rd course, and you won't have a full brick on the sidess of the step when you add the 3rd course, so you need to decide how you want the step to finish. As the concrete for the step will grip itself to the rear of the bricks, you could just lay the concrete step, and then lay the side bricks on top of it, then you'd just fill in the thoats of the 3rd course with a small amount of cement.

Keep googling.

Sponsored Links
As it's only 4 courses you can use ties if you like. Otherwise the correct method is to reverse the bond and show a header in the wall and 2 3/4 bats over the header on the next course.

Cheers guys. Thats what I was after.

Ps. if anyone knows any good links for bricklaying patterns/example, would be much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back