Brickwork Crack - dodgy window or subsidence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed a crack running from the corner of an upstairs window (new) vertically down to the top corner of our patio doors(existing). The crack runs through a couple of bricks but is 1-2mm wide at it's widest. There are no cracks above the upstairs window at all and no other cracks visible anywhere else on the outside of the house.

We had UPVC windows put in about 18 months ago and (whilst we only spotted this recently) looking back at old photos this crack started to appear about 3-4 months after installation of the new windows. There is a matching crack in the plasterboard on the inside which we did notice immediately, but assumed this was only superficial (there was a fair amount of plasterboard damage during the installation).

I have queried this with the windown installers and they are claiming no responsibility citing subsidence as the likely cause.

One comment they had during the visit was that it looked like there may be no lintle on the upstairs windows......

So - what I'm after is any advice as to what the likely cause is (I can get a photo up here if it's useful), which will lead me towards how to proceed?
Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Whilst there is nowt unusual about having diagonal cracks emanating from the corners of openings (i have them in my house), it does seem odd that there is a crack all the way through the masonry and that it is considerably wider at one end than t'uther.

Firstly, how old is the property?

Are you on a clay substrate?

Photo's?

Window companies are quite skilled at avoiding any responsibility for the lack of lintels within properties, though i guess legally they are only obliged to point out that you either have them or you don't.

Some only care whether they can fit their windows in without a triangle of brickwork falling down, as in older properties the external masonry sometimes relied upon the old wooden window for support.

Vertical cracks, including through bricks, are more typical of thermal movement (contraction).

However, it would be rare for these to show on an internal face too if these are cavity walls

Cracks both inside any outside in the same place are more typical of some foundation movement

Dodgy window installs tend to give stepped cracks not vertical and not through bricks, and relatively soon after installation

The house is in west essex, so not much clay that I'm aware of and is around 11 years old.

The cracks in the plasterboard are only immediately below the window, they are not visible on the ground floor at all.

The company didn't point out about the lintels until very recently when I asked them to come back in - so slightly after the fact!

I will get a photo and post it shortly - thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Sponsored Links
I have queried this with the windown installers and they are claiming no responsibility citing subsidence as the likely cause.

One comment they had during the visit was that it looked like there may be no lintle on the upstairs windows......
what`s that got to do with a crack under the window :confused: No lintol over the patio door , maybe - but unusual in a house that age- crack running from patio door up to corner of window

They checked the patio doors and believe there is a lintel in place......

Anybody with any ideas? - options for fixes would also be appreciated...... e.g. remove cracked bricks and re-point......

You need to know if its still moving.

Various methods such as gluing a microscope slide over the crack using a strong resin based glue. Get the slides from a decent chemist. Dap glue on either side of crack leave to set. If slide breaks its still moving.

Same method with 2 plastic window packers with a straight line drawn across the 2 pieces of packer. leave a while and see if the line is still in alignment.

Don't be so stingy with the photos. We can give you a better idea if you show the whole area.

..I have exactly same crack as you.Only been in house 10 months.Was given clean bill of health on housebuyers report..However a large extension.2 storey at back and also over garage has just been completed at neighbouring property,about2/3 metres away from wall with new crack.Could this be a possible cause?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back