British Gas DSC Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just trying to get my DSC alarm up and running. Theres no model number on the control panel it just says British Gas DSC.

It was installed by the previous owners. It looks like this:

There is also a door contact that is on the alarm box. This is no longer on the door due to them having a new door fitted.

I've put all new batteries in all the PIRs and also a new battery in the mains box. All i'm faced with is the trouble light though, it lets me get to program mode with both user and master code and then the armed light comes on, but it will not arm and when i press # to return the trouble light returns.

When I press *2 it displays 1, from reading about it seems to be either 'needs service' or 'low battery' I know it's not the batteries as all are new.

I've also replaced the batteries in the door contact to check whether that was causing the issue.

I also think it may be linked to the phone as when I press the buttons on the control unit I can hear the beeps on the phone line.

Does anyone know what the problem is or am I best getting British Gas out? They are after £85+VAT though the robbing gits. I've tried a local company and they said they can come out but have said that sometimes British Gas can lockout the alarm if they've previously monitored it.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking British Gas, ... :( sorry!

You probably need to sort the door contact out. It could be Zone 1 - hence the 1 on the display. Did you just get a new door, or a frame as well? If it was just the door, could you fit the old magnet to the new door?

If the whole door and frame have been replaced, can you get to to the old cable (or did you say that it was wireless?)?

Whatever it is, try to persuade the alarm that the front door is closed! If you've got a wireless contact, make sure that you defeat any back tamper (a spring/lever/button that sticks out of the back to warn you if anyone tries to remove it from the frame - use a rubber band...).

Good luck ;)

Cheers for the reply,

I tried again tonight with no luck. I taped the tamper on the door contact to stop that.

I pressed *2 and then a no.1 showed again. I then pressed 1 again and a number 2 came on.

The door and frame was replaced by the previous owner.

Looking up the no.2 it's saying bell circuit trouble. All the wires look to be connected ok.

:(

Hi we've had an alarm guy out again to day as it's showing up bell circuit trouble.

I've pressd *2 then 1 and then a 2 is displayed which appears to be bell circuit.

I've changed the batteries in everything and the guy had come to change the external battery today. When he has looked outside the house both external sirens are decoys which I find strange. The alarm guy was just thinking it needed an external battery but is as confused as I am to why there's no external siren.

Has anyone come across this before? There's all the PIRs and AC box plus control panel inside so surely there should be an external siren?

Where the alarm keypad and AC box is inside there is the box below, this is wired through to the circuit box etc could it be this causing the problem? Would this be the only siren to the alarm?

My only other option is to ring British Gas and pay there rip off prices :(

Thanks

Sponsored Links
most of these systems british gas/ adt don't have external bells as they where probably connected to a central station via the phone line and the customer had to pay for this service, it may only have a internal speaker/ sounder, some had a microphone in the speaker to enable two way speech with the monitoring station. if it was me i would bin it and start again as it was american/canadian and not really made for the uk market.

So you have had your own alarm guy out TWICE and he couldn't fix it? That says a lot.
What did that cost you or did he do it for free?

£85 spent with "the robbing gits" and you could have got it done first time.
Oh, and as you have had a 3rd party tinkering with the alarm, they might not even come out now, I know my company wouldn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back