British Gas / Ideal RD2 450 Flue Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Between my neighbours house and mine there is a double width driveway, (ie our drives are side by side), and the boilers in each house have the flue discharge from the boiler in the kitchen through the wall to outside and over the drive ways at approximately thigh height;

Unforunately this has already damaged the paintwork on one car, presumably from the constant barrage of hot boiler exhaust being blown at it.
When my neighbours had their boiler replaced by BG a year or so again they were advised to have a 'chimney' fitted to raise the flue exit point;

This seems like a good idea and I wondered if it would be possible to do anything similar with my outlet?
If so is it relatively straighforward to do?
Would I be 'allowed' to do, or does it need to be done by 'GasSafe'?
Also I'm presuming it is a specific type of pipework, not your bog standard B&Q plastic piping?

Where do I start to look into having this done?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You'll have to change your boiler for a modern condensing one if you want to have a flue like your neighbours.

Oh ok, so it is not something that can be retro fitted to an existing boiler to redirect the hot exhaust?

Oh well, it was just a thought :(
For now we'll just leave the car parked further back I guess!

You'll have to change your boiler for a modern condensing one if you want to have a flue like your neighbours.

Here Ray, can you help him with his other problem, he's wanting to swop his stats around & fit OT controls on his old gas guzzler, he's got the casing off & awaiting your reply........... :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links

Here Ray, can you help him with his other problem, he's wanting to swop his stats around & fit OT controls on his old gas guzzler, he's got the casing off & awaiting your reply........... :LOL: :LOL:
:?: :?: :?: :confused:

What do you mean by this comment?

I presume 'Ray' is 'Sooey'?

PS I'm not wanting to swap my stats around at all, (regarding my other thread), purely asking if they are in the right place, and enquiring whether I am allowed to move them if they are not...

nice bit of brickwork by our good friends at BG :D
nice to see they havent changed the colour of their bricks still :LOL:

Yeah tell me about it! You'd have thought that tehy could have got bricks that were at least 'close' to the original, in either colour or texture would have been a good start!
Unfortunately this was done before we purchased the house, so had little say in it!

PS I'm not wanting to swap my stats around at all, (regarding my other thread), purely asking if they are in the right place, and enquiring whether I am allowed to move them if they are not...

Keep yer wig on mate, I'm just yanking yer chain............ ;)

Keep yer wig on mate, I'm just yanking yer chain............ ;)

Oki doke, consider my chain yanked and my wig stuck firmly back in place :LOL:

So no fancy 'don't-bake-the-paint-off-the-wing-of-my-car' chimney for me then :( , and if the boilers not overheating, leave the overheat stat where it is - lol

Long term you may concider replacing your boiler for a condenser. In certain circumstances you can save 20-30% on your gas bill. Of course not everyone has the dosh to do this, so I'd advise you to check your home insulation. There's many Grant Schemes on the go to beef that up, we just got our loft done completely gratis.

Next thing I'm going to do is murder the wife, I'll save a fortune on gas then!!!!........... :evil: :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks for being a good sport......... ;)

Between my neighbours house and mine there is a double width driveway, (ie our drives are side by side), and the boilers in each house have the flue discharge from the boiler in the kitchen through the wall to outside and over the drive ways at approximately thigh height;

Unforunately this has already damaged the paintwork on one car, presumably from the constant barrage of hot boiler exhaust being blown at it.
When my neighbours had their boiler replaced by BG a year or so again they were advised to have a 'chimney' fitted to raise the flue exit point;

This seems like a good idea and I wondered if it would be possible to do anything similar with my outlet?
If so is it relatively straighforward to do?
Would I be 'allowed' to do, or does it need to be done by 'GasSafe'?
Also I'm presuming it is a specific type of pipework, not your bog standard B&Q plastic piping?

Where do I start to look into having this done?
CUNARD would be best to start looking for a classy installation like that . :LOL:

Thanks!

Long term you may concider replacing your boiler for a condenser. In certain circumstances you can save 20-30% on your gas bill. Of course not everyone has the dosh to do this, so I'd advise you to check your home insulation. There's many Grant Schemes on the go to beef that up, we just got our loft done completely gratis.

Next thing I'm going to do is murder the wife, I'll save a fortune on gas then!!!!........... :evil: :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks for being a good sport......... ;)
Yeah, at some point we want to change the boiler, but when we do we'll probably go for a wall mounted one, (in which case the flue will be higher away from the car anyway! :p ). For now though the price of a new boiler is quite high, and moving from the current floor standing to a wall mounted will cause disruption so Mrs Schmill would like us to redo the kitchen at the same time (which I'll admit I can understand but adds extra expense!).

The house had cavity wall insulation all done before we moved in, although I have no idea 'how well' or even if it is possible to check, the loft has a fair bit of insulation, but it's several different types and makes doing any kinds of work up there a nightmare, so I ideally want to take it all out at some point and replace with 'decent' stuff. Windows and doors were all replaced 18 months ago to get rid of badly fitting drafty old things, so hopefully the boiler will be the next big thing :) (Saying that I've just bought an extra cylinder jacket for the HWC so hopefully that will trap some of the heat in that as well - lol

CUNARD would be best to start looking for a classy installation like that .

Obviously never heard of plume management kits then smart arze? They don't need them on flueless fires though do they? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back