Brush Strokes - Cause & Solution ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am getting brush strokes in the paint surface after it has dried and would like to eliminate this.

Briefly, I am using Dulux Trade Exterior Weathershield undercoat applied with a Purdy Monarch Elite brush. I diluted the paint ~15% with Owatrol to try to keep a workable wet edge as it has been ~23C in the shade where I am painting. Even at that dilution the wet edge seems to have a short life, or I am a slow painter? :oops: As far as techniques goes, I dip the brush in the paint then wipe off the excess paint from both sides of the brush before applying. It occurred to me that I may not be applying sufficient paint and this could be the cause of the problem?

I am not unduly worried about the brush strokes in the undercoat but would like to avoid them in the gloss top coat. If I can understand the cause and solution it may help me to improve things.

I was going to use a Purdy Pro-Extra brush for the gloss top coat which will be Dulux Trade Exterior Weathershield and wondered if I should refrain from thinning the top coat with Owatrol as one possible remedy for the brush strokes?

Any advice to resolve the brush strokes greatly appreciated.

Thx
Jack

Sponsored Links
Was there a lot of direct sunlight when you painted?

Not at first, I deliberately started early this morning before the sun was directly on the work area and I stopped once it was on the paint. I then waited until the sun had gone over the roofline and the area was in the shade again.

As a point of information it is a large Edwardian bay window I am paintning with 4 sections to the front and one section to each side. Each section has upper and lower frames.

I was monitoring the outdoor temperature and when I started it was 16C rising to about 23C when I stopped. Even though the area I was painting was in the shade I was getting brushstrokes that were still present earlier this evening some over 10 hours after painting.

I also had the same issue with brush strokes on some other painting I did last week.

Thx for the reply
Jack

Sponsored Links
use a rad roller then brush it out.be quicker.

Thanks for the reply and the tip, I will definitely give it a go. I have never used a roller before for oil based paint, when brushing it out would I load the brush as normal then give a good wipe to remove more paint from the brush than for normal painting with a brush?

Thx
Jack

You don't need fancy additives, Jack. Simply thin your paint a little with white spirit until you get the flow consistency that you want.

You don't need fancy additives, Jack. Simply thin your paint a little with white spirit until you get the flow consistency that you want.

joe-90,

Thx for the tip, my only worry about further thinning was that I might lose some of the "condition" of the paint as I have diluted it ~15% already. Am I safe thinning it up to 25%?

Thx
Jack

I don't use those additives. If they were necessary the manufacturer would put them in the paint.

Sorry, can't help you on that one.

use a rad roller then brush it out.be quicker.

Thanks for the reply and the tip, I will definitely give it a go. I have never used a roller before for oil based paint, when brushing it out would I load the brush as normal then give a good wipe to remove more paint from the brush than for normal painting with a brush?

Thx
Jack

no not really it needs some paint.but as most is already on just use the widest brush and gently brush it out.
im not a dec but have done this lots of times over the years,and something the decs at work do often.

This technique is called laying off or laying back and there is no need whatsovever to charge the brush first, however if you feel the need to draw your brush once or twice against the brim of a suitable container or paint kettle to stop excess build up of product, then that would be fine.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back