BT and Telewest telephone wiring query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our house we've got the original (12 yrs old) BT main socket on the wall in the lounge with about 4 extensions coming off it to various bedrooms and hall etc.

During the last few years, the previous owner had telewest cable installed. The one and only telewest socket is in the hall right next to one of the old BT extension sockets and once cable was installed it made the BT system redundant.

Question is,can I run wires from the telewest socket to the BT socket in the hall thus making all those original BT sockets around the house live??

Looking inside both sockets in the hall, the wiring is identical.

Any ideas????

Sponsored Links
Yes, but don't connect the TW wiring to the BT socket itself, just the extension wiring. You don't want to end up with one network connected to another!

Extend the wiring that leaves the BT socket to reach the TW one. Unless you know for sure all the existing wiring is OK, I would make checks to see it is sound and connected up as it should be in the extension sockets.

struggling with this a bit!

Connected the telewest socket to the old BT extension socket in the hall and that has made the old BT socket in the hall live but all the other BT extensions are still dead. The original BT circuit is still connected to the master socket in the lounge. Is this what you meant about connecting the networks together SSpark??

I'd put an extension socket next to the bt master, disconnect the extensions from the bt master and put them into the new socket, then run a new cable from the new extension socket to the telewest master

Sponsored Links
You could dissconnect the bt cabling from the bt master socket then cut out the capacitor & resistor in the bt master socket (this then becomes an extension socket) now link all the bt sockets back to the T/W master.
Blue/white cable to krone 2
white/blue cable to krone 5

thanks guys. That makes things a bit clearer (I think) I'll take a look tomorrow............

comms said:
You could dissconnect the bt cabling from the bt master socket then cut out the capacitor & resistor in the bt master socket (this then becomes an extension socket) now link all the bt sockets back to the T/W master.
Blue/white cable to krone 2
white/blue cable to krone 5

if you've cut the cap then you will also need to connect the ringer core

Why not just put an ordinary box next to the BT one, and join all the cables there?

If you start cutting components out of the BT one, any subsequent owner who doesn't want Telewest is going to be well hacked off with you.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back