BT box causing damp - HELP!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my upstairs bedroom, i have a problem on one wall with damp, i thought the gutters were to blame so had them replaced, however im still getting damp problems, on the wall outside is the BT phone exchange which serves other houses in the area. I had a look today and noticed that alot of water was being blown off the wires leading to the box and running onto the wall where the damp problem is.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, I plan to ring BT and at least get them to remove it from my house or pay for remedial work to be carried out so that the problem is resolved, Has anyone ever done anything like this and do you have any advice in general when dealing with this??

Andy[/i]

Sponsored Links
Might be better asked in the CCTV/Alarms/telephones forum. There are some BT guys who post there who may be able to offer advice.

Personally I doubt you'll get much joy from BT, they dont like doing anything that costs them money. May do it at your expense, but I bet you'd need deep pockets..... If nothing else some Thompsons Water Seal on the outside may help.

That was my thoughts as well. I dont even have a BT line, so im not happy about them using the building i own as a phone exchange..... I demanded ground rent for the life of the installation. starting at £100 a year on the date of installation and incrementing in line with inflation to today..... lol. and that they pay for remedial work to be carried out!!! and that they have 7 days to respond or ill take a big ****ing hammer to it.

See what happens now

I would assume they would have recieved permission from a previous owner of the building to attach their apparatus in the first place. You really need to find out your legal standing before threatening them, I wouldnt want to pick a fight with them!! Any damage to their apparatus is chargeable and doesnt come cheap.

My former place of work had an overhead BT cable serving several adjacent businesses (not us), and a collegue brought it down with a JCB. For BT to replace approx 50m of cable and reconnect either end, also compensate 3 small businesses for loss of phone system, their bill was well in excess of £6K, my boss wasnt a happy man.

Sponsored Links
are you saying that the water is running down the cable and onto your house?

there should be a loop, so the water can drip off.

you could try putting something on the cable, so the water drips off at that point.

Yeah the water is running down the wire onto the side of my house, however it seems every house in the neighbourhoods telephone wire exchanges on the side of my house which means 5 wires all connect and the side of the house is damp as a result

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back