Build bungalow on a building notice?

G

gcltd

Hi, we plan to build a bungalow and I had planned to have full detailed building plans/regs but a builder has told me about simply building it on a building notice which he says is quicker to process and saves drawings costs? As its being built to sell would this route cause any problems and is it simply better/safer having detailed plans? Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have seen it done but only on a totally self build ie the owner was building it himself so there weren't gonna be any surprises for him and he'd built new houses before. Don't forget you'll still need water usage calcs & sap calcs etc etc tosatisfy Building Control. Bear in mind that ultimately it is the owner who is responsible for the build complying with Building Regulations not the builder. Don't forget your NHBC either, hope your builder knows what they'll be expecting too. Hope you get a good contract with him too, normally your drawings form the contract.

Personally I would never recommend doing a new build dwelling without full plans app. That way you know exactly what the builder needs to do and so does he. You only have to read a handful of threads on here to see what can go wrong. And yes things can still go wrong even when you've had the best drawings/contract prepared.

Remember that a notice cant be used if the plot does not front an adopted road

What about all the SAP stuff and details? It's a big risk, which might suit the builder more than the owner

i am doing one at the moment,ive been in the trade over 30 yrs and with all the new regs coming out i wouldnt do it again my next 7 on the site will have full plans in and hopefully before september when the regs all change

Sponsored Links
Unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't consider it. It's just a licence for the builder to do exactly what he wants and you'll have absolutely no control. You could easily be left sorting out an almighty mess.

Check with your LABC department as I don't think a new dwelling can be dealt with under a BN as it would normally involve fire officer consultation, which has to be done under a FP.

Check with your LABC department as I don't think a new dwelling can be dealt with under a BN as it would normally involve fire officer consultation, which has to be done under a FP.

F/O consultation is only on commercial.

Whether you can or not, you really don't want to. You have structural calcs, sap calcs, drawing approvals,all sorts of info that requires approval. A building control officer wont approve structural calcs on site for example. It all takes time. So you go the building notice route - Your builder is on site - what's he going to be doing whilst waiting for approval? Proceeding at risk or twidling his thumbs at your expense. Either way, the liability for such will probably come back and bite you in the back side. Scrimping on costs at the front end of a project is where it all goes wrong. Prepare a proper building control submission, get conditional approval and off you go - the process is there for a reason. I would strongly suggest you use it.

F/O consultation is only on commercial.

Not strictly true as they're currently involved on a project of mine for the erection of 2 dwellings. And I'm sure they'd be involved in a housing site to address fire access, etc... The FO is also notified because they'd soon receive a call for an emergency to a house (or housing development) that according to them... does not exist.

Not strictly true as they're currently involved on a project of mine for the erection of 2 dwellings.

Well they can't be involved as part of the b/regs application as it's not a requirement, so have no remit

My one is primarily to do with B5. It appears BC consult with the FO in terms of B5, which they are doing with mine... and what they'd also do for housing developments.

You would be barking mad to do that and you need a new builder.

Where do you live in nottinghsmshire? I could point some decent builders your way and a guy to do your plans

Hi, thanks for the offer however I have a guy doing the plans and I'm pending quotes from a few builders who have worked on friends properties, I just wanted to check everyones thoughts on what a builder suggested re building notice - its clear this is not the route to take for this project. Thanks for the advise though.

My one is primarily to do with B5. It appears BC consult with the FO in terms of B5, which they are doing with mine... and what they'd also do for housing developments.

BC would only need to consult if it did not comply with B5, in 99.9% of cases B5 is easily satisfied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back