Build two extensions off one party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Is it possible for my neighbor to build a extension on my extension party wall? With my premision of course.

I previously asked if he can build his extension with only a single block wall up my extension, a kind member said this was possible and ok.

We, me and my neighbor were now curious if he can do without building any walls and just build the roof on my existing extension.
I have blocks on the inside and bricks on the inside. Is this possible?

If so would the same apply for a second storey?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Is this some kind of whimsical early-evening musing - like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin - or something you want to do ?

If the latter, do you not think that the problems thrown up by ownership and repair issues, re-sale problems ( forget a mere illegal loft-conversion, this is the new ball-game !!!) as well as the mortgage-companies unless you are debt-free, would fill legal tomes ?

structurally is it allowed? I have heard of neighbors building off one party wall as long as they sign some part wall agreement.

From what ive described is it allowed? Both our houses are semi detached and the extensions are side extensions.

I have heard of neighbors building off one party wall

I'm guessing here, but if so, then I imagine that party-wall straddles the boundary. In your case, I have to believe that both leaves of your wall are on your land and so the neighbour's new wall would have to be built on your land which triggers the points I mentioned above.

Once again, surmising, since this is such an unusual question there will not be anything specifically addressing the issue , but cannot see any official wanting to stick his neck out and say anything other than no..

Sponsored Links
Do you mean like, share the party wall .... just like the existing one is shared on the semi?

Of course you can

If you intend to go to a two storey extension you would need to confirm the foundations would support it as they may only be adequate for the job they are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back