Builders contract for extension works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to have an extension built by local builders.
I want to have some written contract between us. Can anyone recommend / point me to a good build contract (im getting other trades in and doing some work myself), I can download?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those....very useful although the small works contract is for works up to £5k.

The builders are a father and son company and look to be making all the right noises...The build is C £40k for a 2 storey gable end extension out 3.2m.
We have agreed a build programme, list of works and stage payments. I have also managed to approach a materials supplier who has priced the materials..(undercutting the builders quote who are prepared to source most of the materials from this new source.

I may need some more help if things go pearshaped :eek: hope not

Will keep updates going...work due to start END March...

Sponsored Links
I have also managed to approach a materials supplier who has priced the materials..(undercutting the builders quote

making enemies already i see.

i can find suppliers who will undercut my local b.m. no big deal.

the thing is, my local b.m. will deliver when i want, the drivers will do extraordinary things and they will help out whenever it is possible.

i have had many offers from others but none could deliver the same personal touch. the service i get from my local b.m. is worth thousands to me. the time they can save me is unbelievable.

i would be very nervous about working for a customer who seeks to undermine my integrity.

got to say im in the same camp. I use the same merchants that will bend over backwards for me. I dont have standing time as i know they will deliver what i want when i want it. When a job is tight on delivery space etc its crucial. I also know the quality of their stuff. From a bricklaying point of view there can be a tremendous difference in the quality and workability of the sand.

its not about money, its about reliabilty.

got to say im in the same camp. I use the same merchants that will bend over backwards for me. I dont have standing time as i know they will deliver what i want when i want it. When a job is tight on delivery space etc its crucial. I also know the quality of their stuff. From a bricklaying point of view there can be a tremendous difference in the quality and workability of the sand.

its not about money, its about reliabilty.

If im paying, it is about money... granted I expect quality as well but with bricks and blockwork, an LBC brick will be sourced the same irrespective of where it is sold..and theres as much as 10% difference on 7k worth of bricks from one BM to the next...

From someone who is paying for the materials, a bit of healthy competition at the moment is to my advantage and both will deliver for free..
I think that ill try to get the large bulky items from the lower of the two BM and the smaller bits and pieces can be left at the builders discretion..
I understand about delivery issues so Ill keep that in mind.... I am working with the builder who quite understands the issue of material costs...we have discussed making sure the timber is of good quality / straight etc....If the materials are not good enough , there,re going back..

good for you.

may as well wipe that contract on yer ass too.

you don't need a builder, you need subby gangs.

good luck.

I can appreciate you are concerned about cost, but as others have already commented construction work is about more than just money - its about cost, quality/specification and timing - if your suppliers cannot make a delivery on the agreed date you could find yourself having to pay the builder for delay time and your timeframe for the project goes out the window, then if you have any problems with the quality/quantitiy of the materials delivered this will then add further delay to your project and additional cost from the builder for wasted time - the end result is that the saving that you originally made will be dwarfed in comparison to the delay time and the additional cost that the builder will charge for his company's wasted time (and it is your risk as the builder will not accept any liability for events outside of their control, not forgetting the stress and anxiety that such events would bring to your life.)

There must be numerous people who have gone down a similar road to yours in the past, who later wished they had stuck with a reliable builders labour, materials + uplift costs to avoid all the unecessary hastle.
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back