Builders supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to set up a builders supply. Earth rod, builders CU with RCD. Is there anything else I will need?

Sponsored Links
A socket or two!

Is there a service already on site, or is there a new one being provided?

TN-S and TT only on building sites - no PME.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
Is there a service already on site, or is there a new one being provided?

No service yet. DNO wants to see certificate. Am I correct in saying this should be a full new installation certificate?

One minor issue to consider, rods need to be tested but you can't test a rod with a loop tester without already having mains availible which may pose a problem if they won't give you the supply until you provide a cert.

If you have one then I'd take along a rod tester, it could save you a lot of hassle.

plugwash said:
One minor issue to consider, rods need to be tested but you can't test a rod with a loop tester without already having mains availible which may pose a problem if they won't give you the supply until you provide a cert.

If you have one then I'd take along a rod tester, it could save you a lot of hassle.

I don't have a rod tester. Is there a nother way.

There are only two ways to check an earth rod in line with GN3, the first is with a proper earth rod tester with two temporary rods. This can be is used when there is no earth loop i.e. if you are earthing a generator supply.
The other commonly used method is where the supply is present and all circuits RCD protected is to use a normal EFLI tester.

THE DNO do not want to see a completion certificate with test results.

They want to see a "Notice for connection" of "Notice of completion" - these are certificates made by the DNO and you ask them for one to fill in - print them off from their websites.

You couldn't issue a cert to them withour power - RCD test, EFL etc.

I have never in all my time had a DNO request one of MY certificates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back