building a bed frame - what joints for corners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've got some pine 12x2 I'm going to use for the sides and ends of a bed frame and am wondering how to join the four corners - I guess dovetail would be best, though I'm wondering if I'll get away with dowellin git instead - any reccomendations?

thanks

Huey

Sponsored Links
Ends - mortise and tenon. Side to ends - mortise and tenon or something like these bed bolts:

M10BBBN_xl.jpg

Scrit

theflyingpig said:
Hi All, I've got some pine 12x2 I'm going to use for the sides and ends of a bed frame and am wondering how to join the four corners - I guess dovetail would be best, though I'm wondering if I'll get away with dowellin git instead - any reccomendations?

thanks

Huey

blimey huey do you weigh half a ton!!!!! :D :D ;)

normal rails are 25% that size at around 6x1"

in connection with scrits bolts use 8x40mm or 10x 60mm dowels to help locate and support the the components during assembly and in use

he may be hoping to entice an unusually large number of people to join him.

Sponsored Links
:D er, I wish . . .!

I needed some scaffolding boards in a hurry and now they've done their job . . .
the legs are going to quite short, and dowelled to the bottom of the sides (cut to be wider at the top than the floor end) and then the 'ends' maybe mortice and tenon AND bed bolted into the sides. rigidity will have to come from the slats (6 by 2 believe it or not - scavenged from a mates bed he was getting rid off)
now I'm wondering what to make some sort of head board out of, and whether to set the head ' end' in a bit so the headboard is flush with the end of th sides . . .if that makes any sence . . .

i use 4x2" planed with chamferd edges for the slats spaced every 3 inches
sitting on a 1"x1" batton screwed and glued to the side with a further batton running up the centre on 4ft [or above]beds for extra support

theflyingpig said:
big-all - how did you do the sides and ends? head board or not?

most of the beds i make are pupose built for small or akward spaces
so head boards arnt nessisery or are fixed to the wall :D ;)

mortice and tennon
dowel bolts
or as simple as screwing into the 3x3" for the legs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back