Building a false chimney breast to hang an electic fire on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a false chimney breast to hang an electric fire on. the fire is a 1 or 2 KW slimline electric fire which just hangs on the wall from scews.

I cant build the chimney in blockwork because of wooden suspended floors so I want build a studwork and plasterboard structure.

I am concerned about the heat from the fire and any fire risk, the fire uses a fan type heater to blow out the heat.

Any help on the type of studwork and plasterboard to use much needed.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
So no chimney there at present?
A plastered wall would be okay (board and skim)
but you could consider using the pink fireboard, instead of the standard plasterboard.
I don't see why timber studs would not be allowed, or metal studs.

No there is no chimney breast at present, what is this metal studding and any idea where to get it from? I had considered using fire resistant plasterboard anyway.

Sponsored Links
gypsum will resist temperatures of up to 57 degrees from memory, above this you could have problems but i can't say how warm it's going to get behind the fire you're talking about. it would be the skim coat that would be my major concern rather than the studwork or plasterboard, though using fireboard and metal studwork is probably good precautionary advice.

url]

Built on plasterboard frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back