building a step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small brick step 1 coarse high built internally next to my back door that I've made out of engineering bricks. I'd like to tile it to finish it, but need to prepare a flat and level top to it first and I'm not sure if it's possible to tile directly onto the side of an engineering brick (I've set the bricks down as level as I can, but it's not perfect). I'm wondering what the best way to proceed is? Possibilities I've thought of:-

build a wooden frame around it and pour in concrete or some form of self levelling compound, then tile that. Not sure if this would just crack?

Render it with sand/cement then tile over that. Would render stick to the engineering bricks? I could scratch up the surfaces first with an angle grinder if needed?

Screw plasterboard/tile backerboard and tile that. Not a fan of this though.

Sponsored Links
In t' olden days tiles were fixed to walls and floors using a strong mortar/render. In particular, places like milking parlours where heavy beast would be giving the walls some stick, would need to be fitted with nothing else.

If you have ever tried to hammer off these tiles and render you would know why this was the method of choice.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve but if you need to make up a small amount then could you not say double tile?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back