Building Bathroom unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm in the progress of building a simple bathroom unit but I'm struggling to find a material to build it with. I went to the local timber merchants and they offered me something called MFC - melamine faced chipboard, which is perfect as I can get it in the mahogany effect I am looking for. The only problem is that I am not sure how well this will stand up to the moisture in my bathroom, I've tried sourcing some kind of moisture-resistant MFC but I'm not having much luck. Anyone have any ideas how to tackle this problem??

Another idea I've had is to build the shell using OSB board and then apply sheets of wood effect veneer afterwards. Does anyone know whether this idea is a goer, and how I could glue this to the board so the humid atmosphere won't cause the veneer to lift off at a later date?

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
I have just done something similar using ordinary MDF which I coated with several coats of 4:1 pva solution plus Rustins MDF sealer (front and back). This will be fine in my context as there will be limited exposure to moisture (though all joints have been sealed with silicone).

Painted surfaces have come up very well following some of the guidance on this site, though the appearance of the MDF once sealed is such that you could leave it without painting.

Real wood effect gained by counter tops made of 45mm x 400mm pine stained and then covered with varnish.

Sponsored Links
I have a three-sided shower enclosure wall panel for the last 12 years and wouldn't be without it. So easy to clean and I will never have tiles again. I didn't have much choice in colour then as they do now. The luxury hotel such as Hilton's have them for less maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back