Building concrete plinth for aga - self levelling problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I am in the middle of building a concrete plinth to carry an Aga (~800kg over 1.5 x 0.7m.

Took floorboards up, built a frame under the floor boards and poured a soild concrete base (1+4) around 350mm high. Yesterday I poured around 3-5mm self leveling compound to get a perfectly flat surface that is 50mm proud of the floor.

TOday - remembered I forgot to add additional height for tiles/membrane and backer board that will surround this raised platform/plinth - somewhere in region of 27-30mm.

What do I do now as the plinth needs to be 50mm above floor height? It also needs to be able to bear a significant mass, and am worried that an additional layer of self leveling may not be as strong as the concrete? Any suggestions? Do I strip off the self leveling, add some more concrete and start again, or make up enough self leveling to make a 27-30mm layer - easiest option but will this carry the weight of an aga? I would imagine priming the other layer with PVA will help a bond form with the new layer but ....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Sponsored Links
just make up with concrete. as long as your sub base is sound. no problems.
would not advise using a self levelling compound. just make up the height and tile..

agas only want a structural base. the finishes are all to your choice..

just make up with concrete. as long as your sub base is sound. no problems.
would not advise using a self levelling compound. just make up the height and tile..

agas only want a structural base. the finishes are all to your choice..

Thanks for that :) The only thought about the self levelling is that apparently I need to make the base completely flat. What aga say in their installation instructions

It is vital that the finished hearth or plinth is absolutely level in all directions, as only very minor shimming of the Aga base plate is permitted, up to a maximum of 8mm. This is not permitted with the electric model.

So as we are getting the electric one, I was thinking of finishing with self levelling as with ballast in the concrete mix, for me it seems impossible to get completely flat.

I do appreciate your taking the trouble to respond - trying to get this right is causing major stress indoors!

Sponsored Links
its all bullshit.... they are the worst for instructions... i would finish your plinth as the finish of the kitchen floor... ie tiles etc.. the installers are ok. they can get over most things...

and as it is an electric one you will have no problems.... most of their agents dont understand the flue regulations and will tell you what they need and then on installation tell you its wrong...
if you have any problems with them just insist you are right and fit the bloody thing... ;)

:LOL:
That did make me chuckle! Cheers for your help ... can't wait to tell them to do as they're told.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back