Building Regs for external Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought the new Building Regs for electricians book, and when I was reading through it I noticed that there is a section about external lighting in NEW and EXISTING Dwellings. It states that any lights installed must be automatically controlled, ie, Photocell or Pir and have a maximum lamp capacity of 150W!!!!!!!! Or Be an energy efficient lamp!!!

Somethings doesnt seem right to me because that means we cant install 300w floods and so on!!

Anybody else heard of this??

Sponsored Links
Yep,,

It's been like that for ages....

They still sell 500w halogens though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has it??? First iv heard of it?
So what happens if the client asks for a 300W halogen in there garden or even a 500W holgen if they have a large garden/land behind??

Tell them it's against the regs :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and try and get them to have a SON (or matal halide)instead :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just fit the blinking thing:cool:

Sponsored Links
Another scenario! If I get called to a job and there existing external 300w fitting is faulty, must i replace it with a 150w or if it was a 300 in 1st instance can i fit a 300 to replace again?

Also If mrs A has a standard outdoor light switched from inside her porch, because its not controlled automatically does it mean it has to have a low energy lamp?

i got a 500w hal outside that i fitted last yr!! it had nothing about not complying with the regs on the box or the instructions :eek:
its also not on a pir or photocell, so i have to replace it now then?
i have a fairly large and weird shaped garden and no way will a 150w lamp light it up as needed.
bugger.

i got a 500w hal outside that i fitted last yr!! it had nothing about not complying with the regs on the box or the instructions :eek:
I dare say if you'd bought a few pallets of bricks, sand and cement that they would not have had anything on them about complying with the regulations either.

And although I've not read it from cover to cover, I don't think my car's handbook has anything in there about me needing a driving licence, insurance, or having to obey the RTAs.

Not really - in each case there's the same assumption that when you buy the product you are aware of the regulatory requirements relating to its use.

I suppose they still sell them on the pretence that commercial or industrial buildings can have them.

I doubt I'd advise anything other than white-SON for commercial tho, I'm not a MH fan yet.

I take it theres nothing against having several individual 150 watt floods in one's garden?

I fitted a 150w and a 500w one a few years ago, replaced 500w lamp with a 300w after it blew. They aint PIR'd, they are for the dog when we let her out, and a PIR wouldn't pick her up. There is a bubble switch just outside the back door for the whole lot.

Also have a 11 watt CFL on a photocell just above said switch, so we can see it. This stays on until midnight.

And a 150w flood on a PIR on the shed (been burgled before)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back