Building regs for stairs - needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to improve access to my loft in a 60s semi which is a tarted up storage space (i.e. boarded out with a Velux for light) but is not a habitable space and is currently only accessed via ladders.

If I were to put a staircase in would it have to comply with building regs?

My reason for asking is that I would be unable to achieve the required 42 degree slope in a straight run in the space I have available and would prefer not to use the cutout space saver type stairs and a double winder would make the cost for just improving access to the loft prohibitive.

I would rather just have slightly steeper stairs but am worried that in just improving access to the loft I could cause myself problems with Bldg regs for the rest of the house if I have any future work done.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
For lofts you have the choice of either complying (there is a relaxation for headroom), or using the Jacob's ladder or steep ladder-type steps, but you can't mix and match.

That said, if you get away with it for 12 months, there's not much that the LABC monkeys can do about it. If you upped it to 44° say, I doubt anyone would ever notice in any event.

The best way to approach this is to give your local BC Officer a quick call to check so that it results in the job being fully compliant.

Fire regs will be involved and you will need mains powered, linked and battery backed smoke alarms top and bottom of your stairwell, fire door at the top with closer, double plaster boarding etc. etc.

If it is currently only boards on top of existing ceiling joists you are unlikely to get it approved as a habitable space - proper joists and trimmers would need to be installed so that it is capable of taking the imposed load, then there's insulation so it meets part L regulations... the list goes on and on.

All work relating to installation of a staircase to the loft should be approved by BC otherwise you may have a few issues later on down the line.

I suspect that there is more to this job than you initially realised...

it definitely can't be a habitable room if its not insulated and conforms to the latest building regulations. if it's only just improved access you are after than an access hatch with a drop down loft ladder is the way forward.

Another option for a stair maybe what you call an alternating tread stair but there are strict guidlines for this and again should only be used as access to a habitable room.

Sponsored Links
For lofts you have the choice of either complying (there is a relaxation for headroom), or using the Jacob's ladder or steep ladder-type steps, but you can't mix and match.

That said, if you get away with it for 12 months, there's not much that the LABC monkeys can do about it. If you upped it to 44° say, I doubt anyone would ever notice in any event.

I have a similar situation in my loft. Boarded, insulated though, and have space where I could potentiall put some non compliant stairs.

However, headroom is not great. 1.92m from ceiling joists to ridgeboard. Despite that though, its a great space (19tf x 10ft) and seems such a shame if it cant be properly converted.

I'm interested to know what you mean regarded "relaxation for headroom" as from what I can tell the stairs are the biggest no no as they require 2m on the landing, or 1.8/1.9 at one side of the stairs?

Andy

The building regs are not necessarily cast in stone, they are a guide, its worth talking to BC, we did a conversion recently and achieved 1940mm headroom instead of the stipulated 2m, BC were fine. Unfortunately it really depends on how amiable the inspector is, your relationship with him and whether it can be justified or not. Same applies to the pitch.

The building regs are not necessarily cast in stone, they are a guide, its worth talking to BC, we did a conversion recently and achieved 1940mm headroom instead of the stipulated 2m, BC were fine. Unfortunately it really depends on how amiable the inspector is, your relationship with him and whether it can be justified or not. Same applies to the pitch.

Agree with Freddy here, most inspectors are amicable, but some are very stringent.

GENERAL RULE: always ask inspector first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back