Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In Jan 2002 I added a conservatory without separation and converted the loft. I did not tell building control because I was told it was not necessary as the conservatory was within the size limits and the loft had velux windows and there was no change externally. I am now selling up and have been visited by building inspector as required by a surveyor appointed by the buyers. The inspector says I need separation between the conservatory and house because of heat loss and also will not accept rockwool insulation in loft. I know there were far reaching changes in bldg regs from April 2002 - can anyone tell me if the above requirements applied in the new rules but not the old.

Sponsored Links
Whether or not you were naive at the time, or just poorly advised, the Building Regulations apply even when you don't require planning permission.

I don't think it matters what the old rules were, as you've forfeited your right to an inspection under them. In order to get a certificate now, you have to do whatever the BCO says. You're his be-atch now.

When regularising building works you are obliged to comply with the regulation that applied at the time when works were completed, not the regulations of today. However, it's not as simple as that. First of all it is your responsibility to prove when the works were carried out. Usually this means presenting invoices and receipts etc. for the original works. If you can't prove dates then you are in stale mate. Secondly, you will have to follow the entire procedure including filling in the forms, paying the fee and presenting drawings etc.

Building control have no powers of enforcement under the act or regulations for works older than 12 months - so if you were staying put there would be not a lot BC could do. Doesn't help you when you are trying to get the house sold though. So the simplest route for you is to fill the form, pay the fee and play along with what the inspector wants.

johnnyl said:
and the loft had velux windows and there was no change externally

I think that's the case for planning permission but for converting a loft I'm sure you would need building control approval.

Also a door must be provided between the conservatory and the dwelling house to be exempt and I think that's always been the case.

So as has been said you'll probably have to do as they want.

Sponsored Links
denso13 said:
johnnyl said:
and the loft had velux windows and there was no change externally

I think that's the case for planning permission but for converting a loft I'm sure you would need building control approval.

Also a door must be provided between the conservatory and the dwelling house to be exempt and I think that's always been the case.

So as has been said you'll probably have to do as they want.

I remember a friend having a conservortary at the same time I was having an extension. They had to have a doorway, but they designed it to be removed. There Conservatory was completed at a fraction of the cost in a short timespan & if I remember correctly no footings. (2 metres for mine)

Whilst theres no doubt whatsoever you needed approval for a loft conversion, even back in 2002 you would not have got away with Rockwool in the rafter void, unless the rafters are enormous and you've got about 200mm in there + your airspace.

We had a conservatory fitted to our last house in 2004 and had the doors removed between it and the house. We asked the local BCO and they basically said don't tell us and if it's an issue when you come to sell the house then put doors on.

We moved 4 months ago and even though the buyers had 3 different surveys (home buyers, structural and something else) none highlighted the problem or even commented on there being no doors in there reports.

Actually 2 of the surveys said they liked the layout and the way it all worked.

Sounds like we have been lucky!

Dux

duxster said:
We had a conservatory fitted to our last house in 2004 and had the doors removed between it and the house. We asked the local BCO and they basically said don't tell us and if it's an issue when you come to sell the house then put doors on.

We moved 4 months ago and even though the buyers had 3 different surveys (home buyers, structural and something else) none highlighted the problem or even commented on there being no doors in there reports.

Actually 2 of the surveys said they liked the layout and the way it all worked.

Sounds like we have been lucky!

Dux

Very lucky, just goes to show how iffy surveys can be. Then again the surveyors might have mentioned it to the buyer who told them to disregard it, if they weren't that bothered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back