building shed from scratch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am building a shed for my motorbike to go in which will be around 220 x 140 cm with the door on the narrow end

it is a lean too shed and the rear and one side are already in place

i was just going to use some fence panels for the remaining side but was looking at tongue and groove cladding today, which do you think would be better?

Sponsored Links
horizontal T&G or shiplap wil give a more weathertight wall

Avoid Vertical T&G - every board will go rotten starting from the bottom.

If using T&G obviously place it with the T upwards and the G downwards

you can treat the boards with water-repellent fence stain after cutting and before assembly

only use one screw or nail in each board at each support. if you use 2 it will split in dry weather. Driling first will reduce splitting

Have you planned anything for security? Like a huge hole in the floor filled with concrete and a couple of brackets for you to chain the bike to?

Shiplap's always a good option, or use featheredge boards horizontally. If you're feeling flush you could use decking, which is nice and thick (for security) Smooth side out and planed/sawn at 45° on the edges for overlap.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the useful info guys

security isnt too important in terms of a feature as it is only there for weather protection and to keep it out of view

i will have an anchor to chain the bike to and it is being built on top of well laid heavy duty flags

i had a look around in focus and they didnt seem to have any shiplap, the TGV was quite reasonable though and I thought this would give a better finish

i think it worked out at around 25 quid to do the one side in decent TGV rather than the thinnest stuff

I am also having double doors at the front, any tips for these?

What about perspex or some sort, seen some of the non transparent stuff in focus reduced, or even better if you have a 'no frills' locally, as they are shutting down and things reduced.

Just knock up a wooden frame, then a few sheets of this, and hey presto, there is your side and ideal for letting in daylight, and letting it out at night.. :LOL:

thats the stuff i need, shiplap TGV, so that is best sought from a timber merchant rather than focus or b&q?

not too keen on the corrugated plastic, still want it to look good lol :)

thats the stuff i need, shiplap TGV, so that is best sought from a timber merchant rather than focus or b&q?

train à grande vitesse, made from ship lap would look fantastic :D :D

yes timber yards [not builders merchants ] ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back