building up tiled area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Around the kitchen sink we have a tiled area that's built up about 20 mm from the wall with some very hard material - no idea what. I need to chisel off some of this to make way for the end of a worktop, and the result isn't going to be neat. After fitting the worktop, I'll need to build the damaged area up to the same height and fill in gaps before re-tiling. The affected area will probably be about 1 m x 150 mm and 20 mm thick. Can you recommend a specific product/material for this?

Dave

Sponsored Links
Bonding plaster or cement plaster, see this
If you can't use a trowel as it's in a awkward position, make a small shuttering out of wood or plywood and backfill it with plaster as above or sharp sand & cement. Don't forget to seal the wall with Unibond or sealer.

Ok. I was thinking about one coat diy plaster - does up to 50 mm in one go or whatever, apparently. But thanks Masona.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Although one coat can be applied quite thick (50mm sounds a bit OTT), it will always be outperformed, in this respect, by bonding. Bonding is much less dense (and therefore less liable to slump).

For a decent finish you need a bit of density, hence the compromise in the makeup of one coat plaster. Since you don't need a nice polished finish, why compromise?

As Masona says, Sand/Cement will work as well, Bit heavier on the hawk but easier to clear up afterwards. (Bonding really does stick. If you leave droppings of it on your new worktop it can be a b****er to get off without leaving marks)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back