building wall up to wall plate on edge of blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a wall to fill an opening in a 600mm stone wall.The opening is about 2000mm wide and the new wall needs to go to the wall plate height of 3500mm.
I have been laying 4 inch blocks flat and joining the two leaves with a block across every block length.

What I was thinking of doing was when I get to the height of the 1st floor beams (2300mm) could I just lay 6 inch blocks the normal way,up to the wall plate on the outer leaf only or would this cause problems later on?

Also will I get damp problems doing this?

Sponsored Links
We did this to convert a garage into a room. The BC wanted blocks with a foam face as a minimum cavity insulation. The blocks were just laid the right way up. Despite the thickness of the original walls, they are not very strong, because the lime mortar has rotted out and most stones are just balanced on the ones underneath. Gave me a 15" cavity to play with.
Frank

Thanks for the reply
Sounds ok to me. No you would not get damp problems doing this. Why would you?

Thanks, just thought it might with it being a solid concrete wall(everything I read seems to say solid walls are always prone to damp)

Sponsored Links
We did this to convert a garage into a room. The BC wanted blocks with a foam face as a minimum cavity insulation. The blocks were just laid the right way up. Despite the thickness of the original walls, they are not very strong, because the lime mortar has rotted out and most stones are just balanced on the ones underneath. Gave me a 15" cavity to play with.
Frank

I don't think lime mortar rots away- stone walls are normally made of two leaves with rubble fill in the middle which doesn't always have lots of mortar mixed in.
Stone walls made with lime mortar when properly built will last for centuries.

No you are wrong, if the mortar is damp it will last else it carbonates, turns into a very fine chalk dust and seems to disapear. Unless it was built with the perps mortared up with lumps of lime that rattle about in their voids. I have a Georgian cottage, rock and rubble construction, the lime was rotten a hell on both the inside and outside skins. Likewise the adjacent Victorian barn. Or perhaps the locals just made rotten lime. Just remembered, My last house was Victorian, and the undercoat plaster had the texture (and strength) of sand, the finish coat was OK, kept damp by the atmosphere?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back