Building without Planning. How much hassle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering building a bin and bike store in the front garden. Pretty minor thing, Maybe 5'x3' and 5' high but as it is forward of the house my understanding is that it would need planning. As it's going to take a day or so and cost less £100 I wouldn't mind avoiding spending £200 and waiting 8 weeks for planning. How would this work as a gamble? If I do get a letter from the council can I take it down with no cost/fine or apply for retrospective planning at the same fee as pre approval?

As a bit of extra info a quick search through the council records shows someone a few streets away was served notice for doing the same thing but they are in a conservation area. We are in the first street outside it, also down a cul-de-sac with a big hedge but the building will be visible.

Sponsored Links
Firstly I would not recommend this at all.

Secondly if you were to ignore that advice, then yep, whack it up. It does sounds like it's probably something that is not going to be supported in planning terms. If someone complains (you never know - no one might report it and then you are fine after 4 years) then an enforcement officer will pop round and / or write you a letter probably saying take it down or alternatively apply.

They might not push you down the apply route if they think it's just a no-go. Anyway, you can then decide to apply, or take it down. Once you have decided there would only be a fine if they choose to prosecute if you then proceeded not to take the structure down.

Lots of people build stuff without planning permission.

It's a calculated risk.

In context, the chances of any enforcement are a lot less for a bin store than for an extension. Similarly for any costs of removal in that event.

There are no fines for not applying for any planning permission. You just get asked to apply retrospectively.

After four years, you'll be in the clear anyway.

Sponsored Links
Probably the council would prefer to see half-a-dozen wheelie bins scattered around the frontage rather than a neat timber bin store.

Probably the council would prefer to see half-a-dozen wheelie bins scattered around the frontage rather than a neat timber bin store.

Too right. Planners seem to be way behind the times when it comes to bins.

Pretty much every new build going up round here (and there's a lot of them) has a bin store so hopefully the council will be pro even if it costs. Thanks for the help so far.

a neat timber bin store.
It's the chintz I'm worried about. When you see things like knitted doll covers, butterflies on walls, shiny driveways, cushions in cars, carpets in garages etc, imagine what these people can do to a bin store.
In full view!:cry:

Doll covers? Like.. Barbie clothes??
Loo roll covers etc......I even saw one for a vacuum cleaner once. Incredible.
upload_2016-5-20_10-54-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-20_10-52-24.png
    upload_2016-5-20_10-52-24.png
    532.6 KB · Views: 242
I'm suddenly reassured about the solid, progressive future of the human race

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back