built in oven....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my new built in oven has got a built in fridge and freezer next to it.
already they are getting discoloured because of heat from the oven.
Is this usual?
a few people at work say this has happened to them.

I used to have a seperate cooker and this was not a problem.

can I do anything about this?

Sponsored Links
I was advised not to have any heat source next to the fridge or freezer. I now have a built in shelf unit that houses cookery books and trays in between the dishwasher and the fridge freezer.

It was not my chosen kitchen.

I wanted an Aga but that was going to be in excess of six thousand pounds....

I didnt get what I wanted!!!

:eek: I'm not surprised :eek:

Actually, my best mate has got an Aga. It was in her house when she moved in a few months ago. It's only about 2 years old and it's doing her head in! She wants a normal oven as well!

Sponsored Links
well, you can buy them re conditioned too I believe.
we went into the Aga shop in Carlisle and the ladies were very helpful. Very quickly it became apparent that we were not going to be buying any Aga and I said so but they still showed us all about them, giving a display on cookery and a video to take home.
I saw the one of my dreams but alas, I wont be getting it!
the sales pitch is that cookers nowadays last about five years. An aga should last a life time!

That is quite true but I didnt have over six thousamd spare in one go for an oven!! ( I dont even do good cakes!! ha ha)

I believe the Rayburns are a better bet as you can use them for hot water and heating too. They look just as nice.

I have a feeling it may not be the heat (is the fridge casing hot to the touch?) but fatty/smoky stains from the oven, esp. if you are fond of roast dinners/oven chips/bacon etc.

I think gas ovens seem to consume more of the fat smoke than electric ones do.

However, if you can manage it, it is also best to have a gap, like a tray space or a towel hanger, between the oven and the fridge, to avoid heat transfer.

A lot of ladies who have an Aga for show also have a combi microwave and a gas hob concealed in the kitchen for the real cooking/heating up.

Aga's...solid fuel ones excellent for burning disposable nappies! But what put me off them was one morning when my mate's wife and kids were away and a couple of us blokes kipped at his place overnight after the pub and a bottle of his single malt, and he promised us a full English in the morning, but because he had forgotten to stoke up his aga the night before (or whatever he was meant to do with it, I think it was an oil-fired one), it took nearly 1 1/2 hours (I kid you not) before it was hot enough to cook on!

He obviously didn't know where his wife had hidden the real cooker :LOL:

hermes said:
Aga's...solid fuel ones excellent for burning disposable nappies! But what put me off them was one morning when my mate's wife and kids were away and a couple of us blokes kipped at his place overnight after the pub and a bottle of his single malt, and he promised us a full English in the morning, but because he had forgotten to stoke up his aga the night before !
Reminds me of my old Nans` one _Gawd bless `er ....when I was a nipper she made a birthday cake an we was so poor she used ball bearings out of Grandad`s bike repair kit, cuz she couldn`t get to the shop for those edible ball decorations .......She was riddling the AGA next morning ...I was carrying the hod of coal in , She farted and peppered the hod with the B.B`s_ nearly took me bloody leg off. Still got it as a souvenir in me front room :LOL:

I have felt the door and it does get quite hot. Never what I would have thought as burning hot though.

I do cook roast beef every week.
I have noticed the most steam when I do lamb.
The steam tends to come out of the right hand side of the oven! if it was the left then that would be fine, its not next to anything.

As a young girl, I used to go off to relatives for lambing time for pocket money ( I had small hands for lambing and also was daft enough (no quad bike) to do the 3hour wlk of the fell for any lambing ewes every night.

anyway, we would put any poorly lambs in the aga to keep warm. (not very hygienic)
the washing would be dried on it and the dinner cooked on it too.

Sponsored Links
Back