Burnerman's shower cable question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some words of wisdom gents, if you please....
A guest room refurb.....out with the old 8.5 kW shower, and in with a new Grohe Tempesta of the same wattage.
It's fed with a 6 mm cable, with a run of 12 m approx. the cable isn't bunched, is on top of the insulation and has a fairly straight run.
I've run the shower for around 10 mins, and noticed the cable was a bit warm but certainly not hot. So.....
Do you think it would have been ok to fit a 9.5kW shower instead of the lower power one?
Is there a great difference between 8.5 and 9.5 kW showers performance wise?
Thanks for any suggestions
John :)

Sponsored Links
....out with the old 8.5 kW shower, and in with a new Grohe Tempesta of the same wattage. It's fed with a 6 mm cable, with a run of 12 m approx. the cable isn't bunched, is on top of the insulation and has a fairly straight run.
I've run the shower for around 10 mins, and noticed the cable was a bit warm but certainly not hot. So..... Do you think it would have been ok to fit a 9.5kW shower instead of the lower power one?
As far as the cable is concerned, 6mm² installed as you have described ought to be fine for a 9.5kW shower (and would be expected to get a little warm when the shower was being used).

What size of fuse/breaker is protecting this cable/circuit, and is it RCD protected?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for your reply John! The circuit is protected by a 40 A MCB and there is an RCD. This was for the original 8.5kW shower, and I appreciate it may need upgrading if I change to a 9.5kW shower.
Unfortunately it's not possible to fit a 10mm cable due to ceiling access.
What's your opinion between the two showers....would it be worth it, do you think?

Thanks for your reply John! The circuit is protected by a 40 A MCB and there is an RCD. This was for the original 8.5kW shower, and I appreciate it may need upgrading if I change to a 9.5kW shower.
Probably not - you will very probably find that the "9.5 kW" is quoted at 240V - in which case that would amount to about 38A at 230V, hence OK on a 40A MCB.
Unfortunately it's not possible to fit a 10mm cable due to ceiling access.
You wouldn't need 10mm² for a 9.5kW shower. In fact, 6mm² cable installed as you have described would probably be OK for a 10.5 kW one (but you'd need to upgrade to a 45A MCB (assuming one were available for your CU).
What's your opinion between the two showers....would it be worth it, do you think?
Opinions vary, but I suppose that 'the higher power the better'. Having said that, although people moan about electric showers (of any power), but I have a 8.5kW one which, on the rare occasions we use it, is plenty good enough for us!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I really appreciate your reply! Maybe I should have gone for the higher kW shower in the first place, but I can always replace it later....I'll see how it fares as it doesn't get a lot of use.
Regards

Thanks John, I really appreciate your reply! Maybe I should have gone for the higher kW shower in the first place, but I can always replace it later....I'll see how it fares as it doesn't get a lot of use.
You're welcome.

Kind Regards, John

For some reason shower powers have rocketed in recent years. 6kW was standard a few years back and one I have from that time though rarely used seems adequate. In the summer it is too hot and I switch it to "low".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back