Burying heating pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to bury some heating pipes under Tiles on a kitchen floor.

I am almost certain that these tiles are NOT laid onto a wooden floor (worst Luck), and my questions are based upon the assumption that I will need to lay them into concrete/solid material.

For various logistic reasons I have to make joints in the pipework (bends/tees/reducers). Obviously I would not cover any joint until I was CERTAIN that there was no leak.

Bearing in mind that i will also need to put in reducers

A) what type of joint should I use.?
B) what type of pipe should I use.?
C) based on the type of pipe used what do I need to protect the pipe from any corrosive action, and also expansion/contraction.?
D) depth??
E) anything else?

I know that pipes in concrete is not ideal, but I also know that in this instance there is no other option.

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
The only way I would be comfortable attempting this would be to construct a sleeve from PVC which you can sink in the concrete and use a single length of flexible plastic pipework such as Hep2o. This will give your heating pipes some support too and this way if you do ever have a leak, it doesn't mean ripping your floor up to replace the pipes.

Recently did this in a kitchen where we had to get gas to an island and the only way was across the floor (we used tracpipe for the gas, not Hep2o!)

Thanks for that advice, unfortunately I need to put a tee on both flow & return pipes (obviously both) . The only way to avoid a tee under the floor, would be to lift a much larger area of tiles, which i would be very reluctant to do.

thanks for the Hep2o advice though.

how deep can you go with the hole? could you fit trunking in? can you lay the pipes and then pressure test them before covering it all back up? A bottle of Nitrogen and a pressure gage for 24/48 hours standing pressure should do it at say 1.5 bar.

I have seen pipes in the floor put in trunking a few times or the other option i suppose is plastic pipe and put the copper inside it.

Sponsored Links
Any pipe that is buried and has a need for joints should be soldered copper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back