Burying SELV cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For example garden lighting where the supply has been run in SWA clipped to outside wall to an IP65 box. What regulations apply to the (12V)ELV cables from from the transformer to the luminaires Could you run these in say some flexible conduit just below the soil in the flower beds ?

Edit: Also are there any problems/issues with transformers being inside the IP rated boxes (due to heat ?)

Sponsored Links
44 views and no response, just wondered if anyone might like to comment, excuse my impatience !

The lights are to follow a garden path which follows the flower border. I thought the flower boder would be better than the lawn for linking the lights together ! The transformers need to be outside, so some form of enclosure is required. In any case, where would you put them in the house ? Also I need to put decking lights at the end of the garden, about 20M away, so the lights will efectively work back from the end of the garden. I can take a spur from a kitchen ring final socket to achieve this. Am now thinking of using hi-tuf as it can be clipped to the fence right to the end of the garden.

Sponsored Links
I have used plastic conduit to run ELV cables underground for ELV garden lighting in my own garden. Didn't bury much more than a few inches as the lights were along the fence. I laid the conduit at a slight angle over its length to allow water drianage from inside. Just my opinion but buried deep with right angle bends for termination points would cause water ingress that probably wouldn't be able to escape.

Not sure that fixing a cable to the fence is a good idea. What kind of fence is it?

V

if its a garden kit and the lights are 12v you can bury the cable direct in the ground, its not ideal, conduit would be better but do be carefull where the ends are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back