Busted oven - 13A fused plug - New oven 20A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this is a lame post but I'm clueless and all sparkies in Edinburgh are enjoying an overloaded order book and no time to come to our house!

Our oven packed up on Sunday and we couldn't get a replacement element (3weeks min order time) so had to buy a new oven as it's our turn for xmas dinner !

There is a problem, the single oven we had was connected via a socket - 13amp fused plug - this is a double plug with the hob plug for the hob ignition also there.

The new oven is 2500w rating and comes with twin and earth terminal type connection rated at 20A. The socket is on a seperate ring rated to 30A. The instructions, John Lewis JLBIOS603, say connection via Cooker Control Unit, 2.5mm min cable/flex and 20A fuse.

So my questions are this :

1) can we fit a plug to the new oven and just plug into the double socket the old oven was connected to ?

- or -

2) do i need to do away with the double socket and get a terminal connector box - 20A and 13A standard plug ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I gather from what you say that you have a gas hob and no dedicated cooker electical circuit.

a double oven needs to be connected to a cooker circuit. If it is 20A max load you can't run it from a plug.

I would suggest, to get you through Hogmanay, you could put a 13A plug on it and only use one oven. Don't turn on the other even for the grill or plate-warming. Keep a few spare 13A fuses handy. As long as you only use the one oven it will not blow the 13A fuse.

get an electrician to provide you with an extra cooker circuit and switch after the holiday.

Otherwise take it back and get a single oven that will plug in.

edited: I am confused by it being 2500W but needing a 20A supply. do you know the model number?

2500w is ok to be supplied from a 13amp socket outlet, Be a bit tight getting 2.5mm in a plugtop but it can be done. Best to use an MK safety plug as there easier to wire up.

But I sniff a rodent here, the OP says the rating is only 2.5kW.

I think you need to ring the mafrs up & talk to their tech team.

If it really only has a rating of 2.5kW, it should go on a plugtop.

DON'T put T&E into a plug top, please!

Sponsored Links
T&E is twin and earth... the cable commonly used for fixed wiring in houses... it should not be connected to plug tops because its not designed to be flexed!

0001.jpg

The John Lewis instructions are full of inconsistencies. You should call them usp and make them explain.......

The 602 model is also rated as 2.5KW and they say use a 13A supply for that.

In the notes (D) it says they "recommend that all models should be connected using a fused spur outlet using a 20amp fuse"

Now where do we get one of those then?

The rating is 2.5KW so you should be fine with a 13A plug. If there's no connecting cable supplied then use 1.5mm or 2.5mm heat resistant flex. Ask for the type used to connect an immersion heater in your local electrical store...

I've found these instructions which list 13A plug as OK

From http://www.serviceforce.co.uk/pdfs/U28062.pdf - page5

John Lewis ovens are actually made by electrolux/aeg/zanussi group - Serviceforce is their spares/service section

You could probably re-use the plug & flex off your old oven if it's in good nick - don't forget to unplug it first though!
Hope this helps

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back