Buying advice - multitool, random orbital sander and router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have recently got into woodworking and could really do with the following tools to help with my current DIY projects:

* Multitool
* Random Orbital Sander
* Router

As an amateur, I do not need to buy anything absolutely top end but would like to avoid buying anything so cheap that it is a false economy.

Any advice on what models to buy would be much appreciated.

If it helps, I have a Makita cordless drill and driver set. However, I am not convinced that any of the abovementioned tools actually need to be cordless (unless anyone thinks otherwise).

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What size of a budget do you have?
For each item.
Cordless multitool, corded router, corded ROS.

i replied on your UKworkshop forum post
i find the multi-tool very useful as cordless - just a retired DIYer
And probably the same for the sander

BUT just depends on if happy to plug into an extension lead

if you are already on the Makita battery platform , then maybe worth a look at that range

difficult to say , in my experience buying some of the cheaper triton/lidl power tools - most have failed in some way and returned
So i now tend to buy tools from Dewalt and on the battery platform and for garden Stihl , a bit overkill , but i only want to buy once and when i use want it to work ......

Thank you - apologies for the same post on two different sites.

Budgetwise - if I could spend around £250.00 in total, that would be great, though £300.00 would be OK.

I have had mixed results with Screwfix homebrand products - I bought a McAllister Tracksaw that has been absolutely fine but I have had an old jigsaw that failed (replaced with a Bosch) and also a garden shredder which is barely usable.

I agree that perhaps the multitool should be cordless if possible (though I take it that will whack the costs up a bit).

Sponsored Links
If I were you I would get the Lidl Parkside, all corded.
Not top end but very good value for money.
I have a couple of their tools and they haven't failed yet, despite the abuse they get from me.
Especially the 12 year old mitre saw which for some reason refuses to die and it's still perfectly square.
Maybe because I only use freud blades and know how to use it.

If I were you I would get the Lidl Parkside, all corded.
Not top end but very good value for money.
I have a couple of their tools and they haven't failed yet, despite the abuse they get from me.
Especially the 12 year old mitre saw which for some reason refuses to die and it's still perfectly square.
Maybe because I only use freud blades and know how to use it.
I have had a quick look on the Lidl website (nice to seem Arnie on there) - it is not quite clear how you buy the tools.

Do you have to just wait until they are in stock and pick them up, in person, whilst you can?

I have had a quick look on the Lidl website (nice to seem Arnie on there) - it is not quite clear how you buy the tools.

Do you have to just wait until they are in stock and pick them up, in person, whilst you can?
Yup, and if cordless you usually do not get charger, batteries and tool on sale at the same time!, but decent quality, proper LG batteries etc. I went for the aldi versions as they were available sooner when I started looking.

Maybe start with a palm router , fairly cheap £40 should buy one .
I would spend the most on the orbital sander , having had lots of cheap sanders I found a Makita 6” model well worth the £150 .Of the three tools the sander will likely be the most used .

Cordless Oscillating Multi Tool, 18V Brushless Multifunction Tools Compatible with Makita 18V Battery, 6 Variable Speed, 22 Accessories for Removal, Scraping, Cutting and Polishing
https://amzn.eu/d/8WyNaK5

Last edited:
So do you know what you need these tools to do? Without us knowing that you will get as many different answers as people giving feedback.

Dust control or do you already have that sorted? If not then it's something you need to consider as part of being tools. I recommend that you buy a Class M one.

My thoughts are with a £300 budget are as follows.

Tools you are asking about. Will you always have mains power available? Around the house that is normal. Outside less so.

Router - for me the only choice for a general purpose, only machine to own is a Triton MOF001. It's mid-power delivered with 1/4inch and 8mm collets but 1/2 collet is available and the machine has enough 'grunt' to the majority of work you wish to do (although, sometimes you have to make more multiple cuts to complete the work). It will work as a Fixed Base and Plunge router. we are talking around £230 for that.
The other routers in the Triton range less powerful and lighter or a Kg or so heavier. Many other makes/machines are Plunge only.

Multi tools - Low price tools you are looking around £75 whether Mains or Battery, to stay on the Makita battery platform - £130.

The Sander - do you have a specific requirement for ROS? Such I say are very much a finishing sander and not a general purpose tool - they will take much longer to smooth off timber. I'd suggest a 1/3 sheet orbital sander with dust extraction is better value. I would recommend you buy one from a good tool shop - things you need to consider is commonality of sanding sheet dust hole punchings, power dust extraction, connection to separate dust extractor.

I know I'm talking a lot about dust control but it is important and your lungs will thank you for considering it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back