Buying house - suspected burst pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so I'm looking at buying a house and went for a viewing today. It has been un-lived in for 1 year. There is water damage through the house though and lots of holes punched in the walls.

I SUSPECT what's happened is the pipes have frozen and burst during the cold snap, leaking water, and the sellers have got a plumber in to find the leaks and fix them (smashing through the plasterboard to get to the pipes). This was done 4 months ago (after talking to the neighbours) so it's had chance to dry out.

Now - I obviously have a few concerns.
1. Of course the water has damages cosmetic things, platerboard, wallpaper, paint etc, but what other damage could it have done? Could it damage the brickwork?
2. If the water got into any electrics could these now be rusting!?
3. What else should I check for?
4. Should I pay to get a building inspector to take a look?

Thanks v much

Sponsored Links
Brickwork should be okay, I'd look at any timber though.
Most electrical cable can withstand being saturated by water, where any junctions boxes/accesories/ terminal connection are made a little further investigation will be needed, but it should have dryed out (4 months) and be safe and rust should not be a concern.
If timber or plasterboards have become saturated it often leaves a stain, these stains can bleed back in to new paint work, so a sealer will need to be applied as prep work. Also water can lead to ceiling boards sagging and sometimes decaying, so check out that, could be a case of just screwing back up tight, but could need to be replaced if crumbling.
Building inspector, would not bother, if it's been repaired most of the damage will be cosmetic. Think about lagging the pipes to prevent this happening again in the future.

Sponsored Links
Back