C/H Pump went bang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody assist in explaining how to drain my C/H system. I do believe I have an immersion cylinder with a metal coil inside which warms the water. A 22mm pipe comes from the top of it, whilst the C/H pipes enter from the side. I have a header tank in the loft, old Baxi boiler, run by a British Gas timing system(with no manual). I can only see one actuated valve to what it's doing I'm not sure. I will have to remove the leaking shut-off valves above and below the old pump, so isolation might be a problem. :cry:

Sponsored Links
somewhere near the bottom of the system, usually near a radiator is a drain off cock.
shut the ballcock by tieing it up with a bit of string.
attach a hose pipe to the drain cock and undo the little square nut. not too much as it will come right out if you're not careful

aleks

Thanks Kostello,
fitted new pump last night. Spent time bleeding system of air (a little still flowing round the system). I woke this morning with hot water and warm house :D but it seems that the thermostat is being ignored to a certain extent, what I mean is the boiler is switching in and out but keeping the house alot hotter than stat is set to. Any clues??

Could be a built-up of dusts on your thermostat causing it to malfunction ,switch off mains then blow out dusts.Also turn the pump to high setting and turn down the boiler stat down slightly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. It wasn't the stat it was the motorised valve sticking open. Can anyone help with something else. I have fitted new valve and the system now works and responds to the room stat correctly. The problem is that I only have one valve in the system which isolates the C/H and water but the wires that come from the programmer confuse me. There is 4 wires coming from it Earth, Blue, Yellow and Red. Which one is for cylinder stat, which one for C/H stat and which one is spare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back