Cable calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to cable a pond water pump and filter to an existing consumer unit in a block of stables. The estimated load of the pump is 300W and the filter 100W. The pond is 10m disrtant from one end of the stables which is itself 20m distant from the consumer unit making a total cable lenght of around 30m.

I am planning to run a radial circuit using 2.5mm twin/earth cable inside the stables (20m) and 2 core SWA cable from the end of the stables to the pond in a trench 600mm deep (10m). I aim to use a spare way on the consumer unit and use a 16A MCB

At the point where the twin and earth meets the SWA I am planning to use a metal box and also have an MCB both for safety to to use for isolation.

What I need to know if these cables will comply with the regulations. There is no insulation, grouping or excess temperature factors to be taken in to account with the cable calculation but I am not sure how to work out the cable load when there are two different types of cable.

Regards

Jules

Sponsored Links
Just make sure both cables are adequately rated for how they are installed and the MCB. Is flat twin and earth adequate for inside a stable, will the horses eat it? Does the stable share its supply with a domestic dwelling? iirc stables are special locations so there may be other issues which need addressing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back