Cable change / joint question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I was wondering what the current preferred / compliant way of going from one type of cable to another is in a specif circuit. Say for example going from an outdoor cable outside the house to standard T&E cable inside the house. I'll explain my anticipated project work to put it into context.

My consumer unit is on the left hand side of the house however I want a brand new circuit supplying power to external sockets on the right hand side of the house. I have weighed things up and believe the best way is to run cables up / down the side walls of the house in a "heavy duty" outdoor style cable such as SWA or thick rubber insulated followed by going across the loft in a cheaper T&E cable. I would prefer this to having to dig up lots of flags and buring the cable.

I propose the following

Consumer unit RCBO > Outdoor type cable > run up the side wall of the house and into the loft > terminate on terminal strips in an enclosed junction box > terminate standard T&E on the other side of the strips > run cable across the loft to other side of house > terminal strips in junction box > outdoor type cable > run cable down the side wall of the house

Basically I'm unsure if terminal strips and junction boxes are considered compliant these days for this sort of activity or if there are any extra precautions to be taken, labelling on the boxes etc. Likewise, would I be correct in assuming you can connect outdoor / heavy duty type cable directly to an RCBO?

I'm not intending to do this myself, just specifying an outline job to a few electricians.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just keep the entire run as one single unjointed length of cable.

Joints go wrong and should be avoided where ever possible.

Thanks.

I should have added (now edited) that I have assumed joints would be preferable so as to save money on the length of cable running across the loft. I guess this would be about 15m or so. Then again, I guess I'd have to factor in the costs of 2x junction boxes and terminal strips plus the increased chance of failure??

Just to confirm though, would the jointing / cable change be compliant to today's standards if I were to propose it?

Thanks

Cost of 15m 2.5mm t and e is probably about £8 at most. Cost of labour time alone to joint the cable twice probly one hour at 25£ per hour. You do the maths!!

Sponsored Links
Consumer unit RCBO > Outdoor type cable > run up the side wall of the house and into the loft > terminate on terminal strips in an enclosed junction box > terminate standard T&E on the other side of the strips > run cable across the loft to other side of house > terminal strips in junction box > outdoor type cable > run cable down the side wall of the house
Why do you think this is "the best way"?

Wouldn't you prefer the electrician to install it properly?

Why do you think this is "the best way"?

Wouldn't you prefer the electrician to install it properly?

I think it's the best way as the alternatives I can think of (that provide it's own circuit)

a) Bury the cable - Lot of work / costly compared to clipping to walls and running along the loft

b) Clipping entirely to the house walls inclusive of running along the entire face of the the back wall (unsightly). I'd prefer to just have cables run on the side walls where people don't see them.

c) Chasing within walls / behind plaster board. My house is fully decorated with no scope for cutting out holes in the walls to chase cables.

Finally, I will be getting in an electrician. Figured it would make more sense to do my own research first and develop a proposal that would result in comparable quotes from multiple electricians.

Guess I'll be going with a single run of outdoor spec cable then.

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back