Cable for 10.8kw shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks looking for some clarification as I'm getting conflicting info here.

I have a Mira Sport 10.8 kw shower. The chart supplied with the shower states that 6mmsq cable up to a run of 15m will suffice in supplying the unit. That it will require a 45A pole switch and a 30mA rcd switch at the consumer unit. I have a 15m run and space on the board for the RCD. I can handle the plumbing okay (engineer) but with electrics I always take a back seat to the ones in the know. In this case some of them are saying that 6mmsq over 15m to feed a 10.8kw is too light and i should upgrade to 10mmsq. Others are saying that the 6mmsq will do fine. Some are also saying that new regulations stipulate that I must get the council in to verify and certificate the installed circuit.

Any help on this one appreciated

act

Sponsored Links
It depends on how the cable is run as to the current carrying capacity of the cable. If 6mm² is enclosed in an insulating wall it is only safe to carry 32A, otherwise if it is clipped directly to a non-metallic surface or buried in a building material other than thermally insulating materials it is safe to carry 47A. The 15m max length will be to do with volt drop as opposed to the cables ability to carry the current. At the CU it will require a 45A MCB and a 30mA RCD rated at least 45A, or if possible a 45A RCBO will do the same as both put together. As you say, you also need a 45A double pole switch in the supply circuit. I am not sure how Part P affects you as you are in Scotland, any Scotish sparks in here?

The shower room is upstairs in a two storey detched house. The cable will run directly up (for 1m) from the shower inside the non thermaly insulated cavity of the plaster board wall that the shower is mounted on. It will then enter the loft space and it was my intention to have it stapled the attic floor joists for a run of approx 8m. It then drops straight down through a non thermaly insulated wall cavity, through the floor space and into a cupboard space and into the consumer unit.

Can you tell me if the Part 'P' regulations cover Scotland? As i notice it refers only to England and Wales.

Sponsored Links
actvj said:
The shower room is upstairs in a two storey detched house. The cable will run directly up (for 1m) from the shower inside the non thermaly insulated cavity of the plaster board wall that the shower is mounted on. It will then enter the loft space and it was my intention to have it stapled the attic floor joists for a run of approx 8m. It then drops straight down through a non thermaly insulated wall cavity, through the floor space and into a cupboard space and into the consumer unit.

Can you tell me if the Part 'P' regulations cover Scotland? As i notice it refers only to England and Wales.

best use 10mm from the start. then your unlilely to need to replace it.

scotland is exempt from part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back