Cable Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a Spur from a ring . The spur will terminate in a fused spur plate which will supply a TV. The cable will be 2.5mm Flat twin and earth which will be laid in a Plaster boarded Breeze Block wall which I will then re plaster over. I understand the regulations are that such a cable must be mechanically protected before plastering. the question is which mechanical protection satisfies the regulations. B&Q do a galvanised steel channel which I would prefer but they also do a Plastic Channel which is easier to handle. SO the question is which one of these two options satisfies the regs?

Sponsored Links
There's no need for mechanical protection other than piece of mind.

The 17th edition does require a final circuit such as a ring that's buried LESS than 50mm to have RCD protection, if the CU doesn't have an RCD then an RCBO would be easiest.

As for the f/spur why not make it a 1 gang socket, then you can disconnect at the socket rather than have something wired direct in to the f/spur.

Do consider cable safe zones- see Wiki for further details.

the capping you mention is only used to provide a possibly re-wireable route, and to protect the cable from the plasterers trowel..

the regs actually require that ALL socket outlets of less than 20A be RCD protected irrespective of depth and installation method..

compliance with the reg regarding concealed cables can be achieved by the use of suitable screened cable such as "ali-tube".. or by installing in earthed metalic conduit or trunking..

the rcd protection of the socket can be achieved by fitting an RCD socket.

this is probably the reason for fitting a fused spur as it's then not a socket and doesn't need to be RCD protected if installed with the correct methods as stated above.

Thanks for the replies.
I am covered by the fact that all sockets are RCD protected, but for peace of mind, I will cover the cable with a galvanised steel channel.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
for peace of mind, I will cover the cable with a galvanised steel channel.
Against what worries will that set your mind at rest?

Only that More protection is better than less. Any possibility of mechanical damage will be minimised with a steel channel, the electrical safety protection is covered by the RCD.
Does this make sense, or am I just paranoid?

Dunno about paranoid, but you've got an exaggerated belief in the performance of steel capping - as ColJack said it's only any good for stopping nicks from a plasterer's trowel. It does diddly-squat against drills and nails.

Dunno about paranoid, but you've got an exaggerated belief in the performance of steel capping - as ColJack said it's only any good for stopping nicks from a plasterer's trowel. It does diddly-squat against drills and nails.

Yup - proven by the fact that it's incredibly easy to hammer a nail through it in order the attach the capping to the wall :LOL:

Totally agree, but it is still marginally better than nothing, don't you think?

By a margin so small it's probably not worth bothering with. If you want to really protect the cables use steel conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back