Cable Size for 630A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size cable and CPC is required for 630A?

SWA Laid on cable basket / ladder rack - No other cables present.

Rating for PVC and XLPE would be nice.. Just wanting to sanity check someone elses calcs.

David

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Greater than 400mm thats for sure.

Amtech only does upto 400mm, so can't use that. Will dig regs out later maybe.

As it is the main cable from gen inwards, it may be sized not only for current rating, but also to have a negligable volt drop - this is often the case for a genset. You want the volts to start dropping at the changeover switch ideally.

In your opinion, is the cables specced too large or too small?

The earth should be atleast half the size of the phase/neutral, but can be calced. For 20m, would it be worth calcing? Also, the neutral cable from gen to changeover switch could be a CNE conductor is you so wish, splitting out at the changeover switch. Seen this done on some installs. It has been questionned before, but no definitive answer has been given. I have always run a seperate earth conductor myself in these situations.

many years ago, we had to run a cable for a bunch of 3 phase heaters on a production line.

I was an apprentice at the time, i cant remember the size now but the size required was so big it was physicaly impossible to do it. (high up in the ceiling of a factory fixed to the buildings steel work)

solution run 2 smaller cables

I think we averaged about 1 yrd / hour pulling each one in

Well the cable size they think will do it is 2x 95mm² (From the existing genny) which was 200Kva or 220..

David

from this:

lv_panel.jpg

to this

genny.jpg

Multicore armoured XLPE -

300mm² 4 core just falls short at 628A so 400mm² with a VD of 2.8V @630A assuming worst case scenario as regards self inductance of cable.

300mm² single core, Al armouring, flat and touching 3.5V drop @ 630A

Both based on 20M.As has been said before you could do the adiabatics or just go for the 1/2 sized CPC

Length is looking more like its around 10m now, I have checked it a bit better.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back