calculating number of rools needed??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

bit of a stupid question but I know how to work out how many rolls of plain wallpaper are need for a given room size but can anyone tell me how to work out how many rolls of patterned wallpaper are needed for a given wall size as I know from previous experiance that there is alot of waste from patterned wallpaper due to the fact the tha pattern has to be matched up

reason being is my partner has found a £50 per roll wallpaper that she wants, and me being the tight one, wants to work out how much its going to cost me

advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Standard roll width is 60cm and length is10m. Walls are usually between 2.2 and 2.6 meters high if so 4 drops is usual but it also depends on the paper pattern repeat; info on the roll will tell you the measurement between pattern repeat.

Tell us the length of the pattern repeat and the dimensions of the all the walls to be papered (height x width) and we will show you how to calculate how many rolls you'll need.

A chart like this gives a basic idea but doesn't allow for accuracy of pattern repeats. WALLPAPER CHART

I don't fully agree with the comment in the link that 'most' rolls only give 3 drops with average ceiling heights but some of the bigger pattern repeats will only give that many. The most common large repeats are either 32cm or 64cm and it is these repeat measurements that usually only give 3 drops. Obviously, higher than average ceilings will contribute too.

Sponsored Links
Think Richard C meant to say 52cm by 10metres and he's right about the average height.

Roughly you measure the wall and divide by 52 to get the number of drops.

You have to take into consideration your trimming as well, e.g i hate seeing the head of a daisy chopped off as it dissappears into the ceiling, i always try and trim so that i get a full pattern underneath so this may mean you cant just measure and cut straight off the roll, you can also get four drops a roll if you cut from two rolls at a time. Two many variables to this question to give you a definitive answer

Think Richard C meant to say 52cm by 10metres and he's right about the average height.
Your right of course, sorry about that :oops: ; it’s 21” in old money & a fair while since I’ve done any papering :LOL:

And I thought he was God incarnate. :rolleyes:
I'm gutted. :cry: :cry:
That’s what you get for dabbling outside your comfort zone but it's a long time since I've done any papering. I’ll try not to disappoint in future so keep the faith my disciple, keep the faith. ;)

PS; I don’t for one minute believe all those horrible things they are saying about you in General. :mrgreen:

Roughly you measure the wall and divide by 52 to get the number of drops.

I find this confusing!

What do you mean - you measure the wall? Which dimension(s)? If more than one (e.g. height and width), what do you do with them before dividing by 52?

Please clarify!

If a wall is 3 metres long you divide 3000mm by 520mm because 520mm is the width of standard wall paper.

Pretty standard stuff.

Richard, i'm a big cutie... however if they were polish daisies...

An eastern europe bloke asked me for a cigarette at waterloo the other day i said no and his attitude to me after was the exact reason i said no in the first place .... i had to take my watch off

It is far easier to hold the roll in your hand and walk round the room counting the lengths of paper. Count them all as full lengths even over the fire place. Measure the ceiling height. Most modern ceiling are going to be about 7' 6" tall that would give you 4 lengths from each roll if there were no match or a small match. If a big pattern match, then you would get 3 lengths per roll and a 4th shorter piece which can be used over the windows and doors etc.
With ceilings in older houses between 7' 6" and up to 9' high you would get 3 lengths per roll.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back