Calls from bank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been getting calls from my bank lately. Though I realise now that this happens whenever i forget to pay my credit card bill, why is it that even though the full amount has been transferred from my current account to my cc (both in the same name, same bank), they still ring me? I appreciate the funds havent cleared yet, but surely they can put 2 and 2 together - the cc balance is £x, the amount out of the current is £x too!

The thing is, I havent actually spoken to anyone at the bank. I have this rule, where if I pick up the phone and nobody answers within 2 seconds of my hello, I hang up. Thus, I havent actually spoken to them. I dont say hello twice or 3 times, because this makes me sound / look like a berk. Oh, and I dont like looking like a berk 5 times a day either.

I know its HSBC because I phoned back. "You were called by HSBC. No action is required by you. Thankyou." Then why ring me, if this were the case? Idiots.

On looking on google for the number, people say when they are put through to an operator in Bangalore, the first thing they do is ask for your postcode, and other security details. In this day and age. Apparently if you ask them for a number to phone to confirm phone back, they dont bother. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I'm no good at paying my CC in time - reminder, must set up a direct debit. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Unlikely that they will be calling to remind you about late payment, there's no money in it. They will be trying to sell you something.

Just ask them to stop, they have to respect your wishes.

Just ask them to stop, they have to respect your wishes.

no they don't. you are "Fair game"

get registered with the telephone preference service, i did because of my bank.

Organisations with which you have an ongoing relationship, for example those who regard you as a customer, (or in the case of charities - a donor) may well gather your consent during the early stages of your relationship with them and will therefore be entitled to call you even if your number is registered on TPS, unless you have previously told them specifically that you object to them calling you for marketing purposes.

If you are happy to receive telemarketing calls from some companies but not others, contact the companies who you do not wish to hear from and ask them to remove your details from their call lists. All companies - including charities and voluntary organisations - are required to respect your wishes.

Both quotes from the TPS http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Sponsored Links
I think the point is, the TPS is designed to stop cold callers - people who buy your number in a big list and use it to sell you something or to start a business relationship.

It will not stop companies from calling you, with whom you have a previously arranged relationship - banks, credit cards, charities whom you've donated to, furniture stores arranging deliveries etc.

At the end of the day, I'm being called by my bank, they are entitled to, its their money I owe them, but its the manner of the calls I disagree with. Answering and facing silence for 5 seconds, trying to decipher pigeon english, them wanting my details before we converse about the matter in hand, all when the full balance is currently being transferred across as we speak - which they'd see on their systems, if they LOOKED! Morons. :rolleyes:

For a larf, answer it and ask them some "security" questions of your own before you talk to them ...... 1st and 9th letters of their password, their DOB and their mothers maiden name.

This always confuses the caller. Tell them that as they have called you, then they must get these right if you are to continue the call

If they get the questions wrong, then just say that you are sorry but you can't talk to them, and you will send them a password reminder in the post.

It's even funnier if it's and Indian call centre

For a larf, answer it and ask them some "security" questions of your own before you talk to them ...... 1st and 9th letters of their password, their DOB and their mothers maiden name.

This always confuses the caller. Tell them that as they have called you, then they must get these right if you are to continue the call

If they get the questions wrong, then just say that you are sorry but you can't talk to them, and you will send them a password reminder in the post.

It's even funnier if it's and Indian call centre

sounds like someones been watching phone jacker!!

"hello can you please confirm it is me your talking to!!!"

Depending on how their accounts work the money could be instant or take anything upto 3 days to transfer between account, or upto 5 days if delays in BACS.

Now the reason this takes days is due to the BACS system relying on a physical process of downloading money from your account to a hardisk(or similar) then sent to the Bank of England, who then act like a central sorting office before the money is forwarded to its destination account. However that said I think they are trying to use a new type of BACS system that should mean the money transfers the same day in all cases.

As for why the bank do not put 2 and 2 together is because you are provided a banking service, they are not your personal bankers however you can have these with some banks but you normally have to pay or have loads of money with them.

HTH

Thanks for that Jeremy, it all sounds very out of date. About time they modernised it, for the modern age. I suppose its a few days less interest they have to pay me for the money they are transferring though. :rolleyes:

A new system, Fast Payment Service, has started to be rolled out by the banks: BACS transfers take place in near real-time. Works a treat.

If I can order instantly on line, pay bills instantly over the phone and carry out other electronic transactions instantly, then why have the banks had such an archaic system for all these years?

If I can order instantly on line, pay bills instantly over the phone and carry out other electronic transactions instantly, then why have the banks had such an archaic system for all these years?

So they can have all the millions that are floating between accounts and invest it on the international money markets 24 hours a day for the 4/5 days that it takes to complete a transaction.

These days I always ask them to give me answers to security questions that only the appropriate org should know.
If its the bank I ask for details like my mortgage payments etc.

I certanly dont give out any personal details to someone calling me unless I am 100% sure that they are who they say they are.
If they dont like it they can write to me. :)

Sponsored Links
Back